Chapter 10

Hailey's POV:

Rubbing the back of my neck, I held onto Charlie's hand as we climbed the stairs up to Riley's office. The past week of working for Riley wasn't too bad and was extremely convenient since Riley allowed me to leave Charlie in the daycare they had here. Charlie would get snacks, so when I bring him with me to the office, he wasn't all that hungry.

A part of me felt bad about leaving Charlie in the daycare since it was for parents who actually paid for the membership so they can exercise in peace. I was just glad Charlie was four turning five soon so I could enroll him in pre-k and not have to worry about taking advantage of Riley's hospitality.

While I was walking up the last steps to Riley's office, Charlie was going on about a friend that he made and what he did today in the daycare.

"Yea, and then Ms. Kelly let me play with the Legos!" Charlie exclaimed as he smiled widely. I couldn't help but smile when I saw how excited Charlie was.

Taking the last step up to the office, I opened the door before realizing that the lights were on. Pushing the door opened, I stepped inside first only to see a female lying face down on the couch with one of her arms hanging off it. Chuckling, I put down both of the book bags I was carrying and allowed Charlie to see who was in the office.

"Riley!" Charlie exclaimed as soon as he stepped inside the room.

Startled by the sudden outburst, Riley jumped up before turning her head to look at us.

Her eyes were red from suddenly waking up, and I took this chance to take in the rest of her features. I couldn't help gasp, however, and bring one my hands up to my mouth to cover it when I saw her face. Even Charlie seemed to notice the injuries to Riley's face as he stopped running to Riley and stood still.

Rubbing her eyes, Riley took a sit on the couch before sighing out loud. It was quiet for a few seconds before Riley stopped rubbing her eyes to look at us. Her eyes weren't as red anymore, but the bruises and injuries to her face were still there.

"Hey," Riley said, her voice somewhat raspy.

"Hey to yourself, too," I said back.

"Well, let's not make this awkward," Riley said before standing up again.

"What happen to your face?" I asked as I walked over to her.

"I fell down a hill while stunting," Riley said before turning her attention to Charlie.

"You okay there, kiddo?" Riley asked while looking at Charlie.

Nodding his head slowly, Charlie seemed to snap back into reality before running over to hug Riley's legs. Ruffling Charlie's hair up, Riley then turned her attention to me.

"I came here to give you your paycheck," Riley said as she started to rub her eyes again.

"Oh, okay," I said as I awkwardly stood there while watching my son hug Riley's leg.

"Charlie gives me a second. I gotta give your mom something," Riley said.

Taking that as his cue, Charlie did what he always does when Riley needed to go somewhere; sit on her foot.

"Charlie, I feel like cr... I feel really bad, I don't have the energy to carry you today," Riley said as she looked down at him.

Charlie just pouted and held on tighter.

"For God's sake, Hailey go get the envelope on top of the desk," Riley said as she continued to look at Charlie.

Doing as Riley said, I walked over to the desk while listening to her conversation with Charlie.