Chapter 7

Hailey's POV:

"So wait, let me get this straight, she just gave you the job?"

Rolling my eyes and turning my head to Avery, I lightly shook my head. We were currently in the supermarket buying a few items for my house since I was running low on food, and I needed to make sure I had something to cook for Charlie.

Due to the fact I got a cart, Charlie was currently sitting in the cart seat while lying against her teddy bear, Roger, fast asleep. You could hear his soft snores coming from his slightly parted lips. It was passed his bedtime, so there was no doubt that he was tired.

Turning my attention back to Avery, I noticed she was already staring at me with her brown eyes.

"She didn't just give me the job just because she needed someone to help her with certain things, and it pays well," I answered as I continued to push the cart down the aisle.

"Well, all I'm saying is that it's weird," Avery responded as she shrugged her shoulders.

Stopping the cart next to the cereal boxes, I reached out and got Charlie's favorite brand.

"She's kind of weird, so," I responded as I placed the cereal box into the cart.

"You're telling me; that little scene she caused in the restaurant will forever stay in my memories."

Once again, I rolled my eyes before pushing the cart again.

"That's because you provoked her. Riley isn't used to socializing with people so she can come off awkward, but she means well." I mumbled to Avery as I started looking over the items I had in my cart.

There were a couple of snacks for Charlie and a couple of other stuff that I could cook for dinner for both of us.

"You barely even know her. I'm just surprised that you allowed her to get so close to Charlie. It's been what; a month or two?" Avery commented as she started to walk ahead of me.

Pushing the cart, I caught up to Avery and motioned for her to head for the check out area.

"It's not like I was the instigator; that was Charlie," I said as I pushed the cart to get into the line.

I ended up stopping behind a young couple before I turned my attention to Avery.

"You sure about that?" Avery asked as she raised one of her perfectly trimmed eyebrows.

"Yea, I guess he got attached to Riley after she found him crying in Barnes & Noble and took care of him," I said as I turned my head to slightly look at Charlie.

"Well, Barnes & Noble did a crappy job in watching over your son. I mean for all you know, Riley could have been a pedophile, and then Charlie could have been hurt." Avery said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Riley isn't a pedophile, so don't ever assume that again," I said quickly.

The topic of pedophile never sat well with me and sensing that I was starting to get defensive, Avery pulled me into an embrace.

"I'm sorry baby, it's just I love you a lot, and I don't ever want to see Charlie or you get hurt," Avery said as she lightly rubbed my back.

Sighing and relaxing into her hug, I allowed her to hug me for a little while before parting when hearing the cashier called out next.

Loading my groceries onto the counter I watched as the cashier started ringing up the food. When he was done scanning my items, the total came up to 89.75 dollars, which I happily paid since it was lower than usual. Paying the cashier, I then tipped the bagger when he put the bags into my cart.