L A S T / N I G H T

F O X C O O P E R 

Waking in the morning, Fox was surprised to see Lando had already left the room. She laid in bed quietly for a moment, when she got out of the shower last night, Lando had fallen asleep and now he was gone before she woke up. He was acting strange since they watched the sunset together, now she felt like he was avoiding her. In the car he'd turned the music up before she fell asleep, then he'd fallen asleep whilst she showered, now he was gone. 

After getting herself ready for the day, she took her bag then headed down to the hotels dining area. Fox made a beeline for the coffee machine where she had herself a large mug before sitting at a table by the window. She had not spent any time looking around for anyone, she was just grateful to have her coffee. 

Thinking back to the night, Fox stared out the window. 

Climbing into the large bed, Fox looked at the man next to her. She was sure he was pretending to be asleep, no one fell asleep that quickly. "Lando?" She whispered as she pulled the blanket over herself. Putting her head on the thin pillow, she looked at the back of his head for a moment. It was like she was waiting for him to turn over and speak to her. 

The evening had been a strange one. Fox could feel the tension after they left Monaco. 

Turning over in the bed, Fox laid there awake as she replayed the evening in her mind. As she laid there, she wondered how much or how little time had passed as she did. She couldn't stop thinking about what had happened, or most specifically, what hadn't happened and what she could have done differently. The more she thought about it, the more she started to realise that she was thinking about him more than she should have been. 

Closing her eyes, she tried to will away her thoughts. She tried to move her mind away from the man who laid next to her, thinking in small bursts about home, about her mother and her father and even just random films but everything came back to him. 

She didn't know how long she was there before she fell asleep but just as the dreams began she was jolted awake. Laying still, she felt an arm lazily droop over her side. The bed moved slightly on the other side before she felt breathing on her neck. For the first time since she had gotten into bed, Fox felt at ease. 

Pulling her phone from her bag, she turned it on before checking her notifications. There was the usual stuff from social media followed by messages from Alicia and even a message from Charmaine. She opened the message from Charmaine, it surprised her that it was a voice note. 

For a moment, her mind was occupied with the worst thoughts. 

Pressing the play button, Fox lifted the phone to her right ear to listen. 

What she heard was not words, she knew exactly what she was listening to. Sucking in her bottom lip, Fox stared blankly out of the window afraid of her reactions. She wasn't sad nor jealous, the emotions that stirred inside of her were more anger and disappointment. After such a long friendship with Charmaine, Fox couldn't believe that she would send a voice clip of herself and Dean being intimate. 

Closing the chatbox, Fox opened the message from Alicia. Her friend had sent her a message apologizing for everything, for knowing about Charmaine and Dean and not doing anything. Fox ignored this message too. For so long she had held on to these people thinking they were her friends but she knew friends didn't do that to each other. Being away had made her think differently about her life.

"Fox," she jumped when she heard her father's voice. Looking up at her, she was wide-eyed but managed to smile at him. "I didn't mean to scare you."

She let out a small laugh as he sat down opposite her. "You didn't," she lied as she wrapped her hands around her mug ignoring her phone. "I thought you would be gone by now."

Maximillion looked at his eldest daughter with admiration. Fox had grown into a beautiful young woman. He wished she could see how her actions affected her reputation but he knew she was only trying to have fun. "I wanted to make sure you were okay," he told her as he glanced down at her phone before looking back into her eyes. "I know you are probably missing your friends and everyone back home." She didn't speak as she listened to her father, she didn't realise how much she had missed just having a normal conversation with him until now. "It's only a week though and you'll be home soon enough."

"I'm sure I'll survive," she made a small joke not wanting her father to know the truth about what was waiting for her back home. 

"I know you can't wait to get home," Maximillion grinned thinking about all this daughter had put him through. "I just want you to be happy, Fox."

Looking away from her father, she looked around the dining area before she set eyes on Lando. "You know what," she looked back to her dad and sighed. "I always thought I was happy." 

Maximillion raised his eyebrows, he'd never heard his daughter speak in such a way. "You are still young," he told the blonde young woman. "Now, get out there and have fun." Getting to his feet, Maximillion walked around the table and planted a kiss on her cheek. "See you in a couple of days." 

Smiling, Fox watched as her father walked away from the table. She picked up her mug, sipping on the lukewarm coffee as she took her phone in her other hand. Opening the chatbox from Charmaine, she typed out a message - I only wish you and dean the best. please don't contact me again. Fox hovered her thumb over the send button for a few seconds before pressing it. It was too late for her to change her mind, instead, she locked her phone before staring blankly out the window. 

A sound caught her attention, turning her head rapidly she saw Lando approaching her. Offering the young man a smile, Fox tilted her head a little as she awaited his words. 

"Come on then," he grinned as he offered her the envelope with the details for the next destination. "We have a lot of ground to cover, Fox."