L O S I N G / S M I L E S

F O X C O O P E R

F O X C O O P E R

Spending time with Lando in the evening was amazing. Fox casually laid her hand on his knee as he sat beside her, a grin on her face as she listened to the person across the table talk about their car. She noticed the way Lando's lips were pulled up at the sides as he interacted with the man opposite. Everything seemed normal, to the outside world they looked like a couple sitting together at a party without a worry. 

Fox looked around, her eyes landed on her father who seemed to turn his head at the same time and connect eyes with her. She looked away quickly, taking her hand from Lando's body before sharing a smile with Lando who was looking at her. "You okay?" He asked her with furrowed brows. 

Grinning at him, Fox spoke, "I'm good." Whilst in his presence, she felt great, like she was on top of the world. She picked up her wine glass before taking a sip before speaking once again, "Do you wanna... get out of here?"

Lando looked almost confused for a second before he gave her a slight nod. "Okay," he got to his feet, Fox following suit before being stopped in their tracks by her father who was approaching their table quickly. 

"Well, it's nice to see you both here tonight," Maximillion said casually as they both looked at him. 

Fox moved away from her seat, towards her father before smiling. "It's been a good night," she assured him. She knew her father prided himself on these evenings and he wanted everyone to have a good time. 

"It's barely even started," Maximillion told them both. "We still have some great entertainment to come," Fox watched as her father looked at Lando with a smile. "I think you will find it very interesting," she noticed how it was directed only at Lando. "Then we have my good friends Gordan and Gino cooking us up some food on the grills before we end the night on a bang."

The blonde awkwardly held her hands together behind her back as she waited. Maximillion put an arm around Lando before guiding him away, towards the decked centre area of the gardens. Fox's nose twitched as she stood there alone like a lemon. She returned to her seat, her hands wrapping back around her wine glass as she took a deep breath. 

"Fox," she looked up at the owner of the voice. Her eyes were on Eve, her father's wife who sat beside her and smiled. 

Looking at the woman, Fox raised her eyebrows. "What's up?" She didn't want to deal with any grief right now. 

"He cares about you," Eve told the eldest daughter of her husband. "Your father only wants you to be happy. He wants you here so he can see what makes him happy, to see if there is more in common between the two of you than just blood." The famous singer put her hand over Fox's as she smiled at the young woman she thought of like a daughter. "He loves you very much, Fox. He only wants to see you smile, to be happy."

Fox looked over at her father and Lando, a smile crossing her lips as she let Eve hold her hand. "I am happy," Fox's voice was content and Eve noticed it. The young blonde looked back at the woman her father was married to. For Fox, Eve was just another person who had her father's attention, someone who took his love from her, it was only then she realised there was more than what she thought. Her father loved her the same, Eve loved her father and having Eve here now, trying to patch the relationship between Maximillion and Fox, it was obvious, Eve loved Fox too. 

Eve looked towards her husband, then her eyes looked at the young lad beside him. Maximillion had brought Lando and Fox together on this adventure, and, Eve noticed Fox had begun to change during this time. "You're different, Fox," Eve nudged the blonde as she grinned widely at her. "I don't know what has happened, but, don't let it go. For the first time in a long time," she squeezed Fox's hand. "I've seen you truly smile, truly be happy." 

Deep down, Fox knew things had changed for her. Looking down at the hand that Eve held, she noticed Eve start to pull away but Fox gripped the hand that held hers. Lifting her head and attention back to Eve, Fox gave her a small smile. "Thank you," it was the first time Fox had spoken those words to this woman and truly meant it. "I'm sorry, too. I am, Eve. I..." Fox trailed off as she realised what she was saying. Turning her head back to where her father was standing, her eyes widened as she could no longer see Lando nor her father. "Where did they go?"

Looking over, Eve couldn't see Maximillion, when she glanced back at Fox, she noticed the anxiety-ridden look that crossed her face. "Let's see if we can find them," Eve got to her feet, Fox was quick to follow suit. "They can't have gone too far."

Fox followed Eve, her eyes looking around the outside area hoping to find them. 

When she looked towards the hotel doors to the dining area, Fox saw them. Instantly, she felt better. It didn't matter to Fox that her father currently had an arm around Lando. "Ahh," Eve said from beside the young blonde. "I told you, they couldn't have gone too far," Eve nudged the teenager. 

"I'm just going to..." Fox's words trailed off as she walked towards the two men. 

As she approached, her heels tapped on the concrete gaining the attention of Lando. He turned and looked at her, she bit her bottom lip as she cast a grin at him. Her heart skipped a beat as he returned the look. 

Maximillion glanced at his daughter and then at Lando, "I'm all done with you." He told Lando in a voice that reminded Fox of her childhood. Maximillion smiled at Fox, "Have a good evening you two."

She smiled at her father as Lando spoke, "You too." 

Fox was so happy as she exchanged a happy look with her father before she and Lando walked away from her father. They beamed at each other as they walked close, their sides touching as they kept silent. Neither talked as they disappeared from her father's view. When Fox was satisfied she was no longer being watched, she gave Lando a knowing look. 

"Where were we earlier?" Lando winked as he took her hand. 

The smile fell from her lips as she realised what he meant. She wasn't disappointed, more shocked that he was the one to insinuate it. "Erm..." she was a little speechless as she stopped walking and looked up at him. 

Lando halted beside her, he reached out for her waist before moving her closer to him. "Have I told you this evening how amazing you look?" Fox blushed at his words as they just stared at each other for a second, her head nodding at his question.