Chapter 17

Harry POV:

"Who's that letter from? I've never seen you this happy about a letter," Hermione asks me.

"Ah- no one," I say hastily, shoving Draco's letter in my bag. These past few weeks have been crazy. Death eaters swarmed Bill and Fleur's wedding, we had to go hiding, and now we're out in the woods because Yaxley knows where we've been hiding. Hermione gives me an unimpressed look.

"Oh, come on, I'll read it if you're so keen to hide it," she says, and walks towards me. I immediately stand up and grab my bag, walking away from her.

"Harry, what are you hiding?" Hermione sighs, "It can't be that bad."

"It's nothing, I told you already."

"When someone says that, it means that they're hiding something," Ron says, appearing out of nowhere. I groan. I can't hide anything around these two, or they'll know. 

"IT'S NOTHING!" I exclaim, and both Ron and Hermione go silent. 

"Ok, fine then, mate, we'll leave you alone," Ron mutters. He walks away, but Hermione still stands.

"Harry, please. We're your friends, we've got a right to know."

I stare at her, unblinking, before I get an idea. I turn away from Hermione so it looks like I'm looking for the letter, when in reality, I already have the letter. I take a quill and I cross out Draco's name and write Ginny's instead, before giving it to Hermione. She raises her eyebrows.

"I didn't know Ginny still fancies you," Hermione notes. She gives the letter back to me, and walks away, muttering about something. I let out a sigh. When will I ever tell them about me and Draco's relationship?

I grab a piece of parchment and start writing back to Draco.

Dear Draco,

This letter will be sent by a different owl, because someone's killed Hedwig. It happened when I was trying to get to The Burrow without getting killed, and Hedwig was trailing me. Then, a death eater killed her. Rest in peace Hedwig.

I almost got caught reading your letter by Hermione. Don't worry, I haven't told her anything. I crossed out your name and put Ginny's instead, so it looks like I've been writing to Ginny. Anyways, how's it like with Voldemort at your house? I know you think it's scary, but just know that having you on our side is crucial.

You know that locket I showed you on the train ride back home? Ron, Hermione and I found the other one we were looking for, but we can't break it. Do you know anything that's destructive enough that magic can't repair it? As for Nagini, I've already looked into her. I do actually believe that she's one of the thing's I'm looking for, since she has a completely different behavior from everyone else. Can you please tell me frequently what she's up to?

I want to end this letter on a lighter note, since there's so much other stuff going on. I think Ron fancies Hermione. To be honest, I think he's liked her for a long time, but he hasn't gotten the nerve to tell her. Hah. So much for being a brave Gryffindor. I love how he's been at my side since day one, and he's been in loads of duels, fights, and even a chess match, but he's still scared of asking Hermione out.

Anyways, I have to finish this letter before anyone else sees. Miss you!

-Harry

As I finish the letter, I smile to myself. I stuff the letter in an envelope and walk back to our tent, where I see Ron talking to Hermione, clearly having a good time. I open the letter and hastily cross out the word "think" in the last paragraph and replace it with "know". Ron notices what I'm doing and says, "Hey! What is that?"

"Wanna see?" I say. Thinking quickly, I tear the letter so that the last paragraph is on one piece, and everything else is on the other. I hand him the piece of paper with the last paragraph on it, watching Hermione walk into the tent. His expression turns from curious to flustered. "I-I don't fancy Hermione!" He says, turning red.

"Oh, yes, you do. C'mon, you don't need to keep it a secret, a lot of people know it by now," I say teasingly.

"Shut up, Harry," Ron says, and I laugh before putting both pieces of paper into my envelope.

"Can I use your owl? I need to send a letter to- Ginny," I lie. Ron raises his eyebrows before giving me his owl, and I tie the envelope on his leg before setting him free. I sigh, looking at the owl.

"Looks like you fancy someone too," Ron pipes up, making me turn red again.

"N-No I don't!"