Chapter 6

Pete wrapped his arms around me again and started stroking my back, now actually comforting me. "Shh, shh, it's gonna be alright..." he said and for some reason, I believed him which is when I realised that I was not completely done with him, at least not as a person. Maybe we could be friends, maybe everything could work out but we wouldn't have to ignore eachother. You didn't just believe anybody when they said it was going to be alright but I still trusted him.

I pulled away slowly to look at him. Because of my heels, I was almost the same height as him. He smiled softly and removed a strand of hair out of my face, then lead me to the sofa. "Do you wanna talk?" he asked and I sighed, taking a moment to compare my last two ex-boyfriends of which one had cheated on me and treated me like shit while the other still cared about me and wanted to help me after our reason for breaking up had been that he had wanted to marry me. And I had been mentioning them together as if it had been the same. I mentally bitchslapped myself.

Pete put his arm around me and I rested my head against his shoulder. "It's just, I don't want to put it all on you because you'll automatically want to help me. But you can't just fix everything." "I can try" he said and kissed the top of my head.

Suddenly, I flinched away and to the other end of the couch. "What is this?" I asked and my voice was rising to a higher pitch. "We're falling back into old habits, no, this isn't why we broke up, this isn't what we broke up for." He raised his hands in front of his chest as if to defend himself. "Hey, I'm just trying to help. If you wanna tell me what's wrong from over there, that's fine with me too" he said, gesturing to where I was sitting. I took a deep breath and licked my lips. "Promise me you're not going to try and do anything about it though." "I can't promise that." "Well then."

I got up and headed for the door but as expected, he followed me. "Hey, where are you going?" "Home." "No way, you can't just come here, drop a bomb like that and then leave. Are you kidding?" "I'm tired, I'm going home" I said to assure him that we were obviously going to see eachother again and to create the illusion that I in fact wasn't leaving because of the conversation we were having. He took hold of my hand and spun me around, I looked at him in disbelief. "Really?" I asked. "At least let me drive you" he said. "No, I can make it on my own" I said, staying stubborn. He sighed and shook his head. "No, I'm not letting that happen." "You've been letting it happen since we broke up!" I replied, getting louder again. "That's when I didn't know you were pregnant and also I wasn't aware that you lived in such a shitty area!" He was getting mad too now and I started to notice a resemblance to our behavior shortly before we had broken up. "You're not my dad and guess what? You're also not my boyfriend anymore! So what gives you the right...?" I said but regretted it instantly, there was no need to be so mean, he was just trying to help. On the other hand, he also had to learn that I could take care of myself.

"What gives me the right?!" he interrupted me. "Oh ... let me think for a second ... right, I know! You're carrying my child." I rolled my eyes. "And what do you think is going to happen? That...?" "Don't! Don't give me any scenarios, that's going to make me even crazier" he said, squeezing his eyes shut, then opening them again. He wanted to help me and here I was, triggering his anxiety. I wanted to this time actually bitchslap myself.

We must've looked insane, standing there in the hallway, him dressed in pajamas, me all dressed up but definitely not looking like I could party anymore, yelling at eachother like we used to. And I hated it, I had hated it then and I was hating it now. That's not how I should've been treating him, not when he was trying to care but then again, he was never very understanding of the fact that I needed my freedom so this was the only way to show him.

I took a deep breath. "I trust you, Pete. Don't you trust me? I feel like you don't even respect me. I can take care of myself. Of course, it was nice when you took me in but somehow, I would've managed on my own. I'm a big girl, I can do it. I made it before I met you too." That was harsh but I hoped he'd get it now. "It could be so much easier..." he said quietly but obviously knowing I wouldn't give in. "Pete!" I insisted.

Suddenly, both our heads snapped to the side, hearing the approaching of little footsteps coming down the stairs. Before he looked at Pete, he looked at me when he came around the corner. The sleepy dizzyness on his face turned into a lit up smile and he jumped down the last two steps, running to me and wrapping his arms around me. "Charlie!" he squeaked and I stroked his hair, lifting him up into my arms with a painful smile. I wanted to leave because I didn't want to fight with Pete any more but I had also missed Bronx and just seeing him smile at me made me feel better. A kid's smile could make your day and all of the sudden, I didn't feel too bad about being pregnant anymore. I would have this too, it would make everything better for me.

"Hey, Bronx" I said softly and messed up his hair. He looked at me with big eyes. "What are you doing here? Dad said you were away for a while and he didn't know if you'd come back." Tears started to form my eyes and I tried not to let them spill. Over the little boy's shoulder, I could see Pete avoiding my gaze. Even though I wasn't Bronx' mother and in Pete's eyes it had probably been my fault, he hadn't said a bad word about me to Bronx. Also, he had obviously hoped that at one point, we'd be in contact again which assured me that he didn't hate me after all.

I kissed Bronx' cheek. "Well, I'm here now, buddy." He smiled. "Are you staying, Charlie? Or do you have to leave again?" he asked and now Pete was looking at me. I didn't want to give in but again, there was the déjà vu and it broke my heart to deny Bronx of something. "I don't know..." I said and Pete shrugged, he obviously didn't want to make me and I appreciated that. Maybe he knew that Bronx would do the trick though. I sighed at the little pouty face the mini-Pete was making and set him down on the ground. "Only tonight though." His lips curled into a big smile and I could see Pete looking unsure from the corner of my eye. Bronx grabbed my hand and pulled me upstairs before I could say another word. "Hope it's okay" I mouthed into Pete's direction and he nodded. "Of course."

"You look pretty, by the way, Charlie" Bronx said and I smiled. "Well, thank you, young man." "Are you gonna tell me a bedtime story?" "Of course." He headed straight for Pete's bedroom so I stopped him. "Don't you wanna sleep in your own bed?" He pouted and let go of my hand, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "You're a big boy" I added but Bronx stubbornly shook his head. "No." "Are you sure?" "Yes. I wanna talk to you until I fall asleep, I have so much to tell you, it's because you never come over." I inhaled deeply and turned around to see Pete. "I promise this is not planned" he laughed, obviously at his son's skills of making me do anything he wanted. Where was my independence now?

"How about I stay here until you fall asleep and then I sleep in the guest room to not annoy your Dad?" Bronx rolled his eyes. "You're not annoying him." I looked at Pete again and he shrugged. "Whatever you want." I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Fine" I gave in and just decided that I didn't need to stand my ground tonight, I had already proven that I wasn't so headstrong and so independent when a little kid was involved.

I took off my shoes and looked at Pete. "Do you have an old shirt I can sleep in?" I asked. "Have this one, I don't need it" he said and took off his shirt, throwing it at me. I raised my eyebrows. "Really?" I didn't know if I should feel like a stranger invading in here or if it was alright having that feeling of being at home again. I rolled my eyes and retreated to the bathroom where I took off my leather jacket and my dress and slid into Pete's shirt that covered my butt just about, leaving on my bra. Then I brushed my hair and tried to remove at least a little bit of make-up with water until I looked normal. I was feeling out of place but at the same time, this had been my home for quite a while but I didn't know if I had the right to just come back and jump back out again.

I came back to Pete's bedroom and they were both under the covers already. Pete had gotten another blanket for me though and I smiled thankfully, turning off the light and climbing in next to Bronx. He turned to me right away. "Charlie, on the last test we did in school, I was the best in my class" he said. "Wow, that's great!" I replied excitedly, actually feeling proud of him. I wanted that too, I wanted a kid that I could be proud of, somebody I could teach something. "And I joined the choir." "I bet your singing is great." "The teacher said so." "I'm so proud, buddy." He giggled into the dark and I smiled to myself.

I could tell Pete was listening to us whispering for a while but when I started telling Bronx a story I made up, about the same monster he'd had a nightmare about a while back which I had turned into a nice monster, I heard Pete fall asleep halfway through the story and when Bronx was asleep too, I turned away from both of them, hugged a pillow and closed my eyes, unable to believe where I had ended up.