Chapter 27 - Pete's POV

It was my fault, it was all my fault. I wasn't listening to what the doctor was saying to me, it didn't matter, I felt fine. I didn't care about what he was saying because he wasn't talking about Charlie. It wasn't important what he was saying, I felt alright, I felt like I was very capable of going to the other room or hearing what had happened to Charlie but I couldn't do that while he was still talking and I was still connected to that fucking beeping machine beside my bed.

My mind was at war, I didn't know what had happened to her. I had been awake for a split second when I had heard the sirens of the ambulance and her head had been bleeding when they put her into the back of the ambulance. What if she was in a coma? What if she was dead? What if something had happened to the baby? I couldn't handle it, I had to see her but the doctor just wouldn't shut up and I couldn't get out off bed without fucking disconnecting myself from the machine beside the bed. I had to see how Charlie was, I had to know but he hadn't even lost a word about her so far, he was saying something about me but currently, I did not care. He was free to tell me about myself once I knew that Charlie and the baby and also, Hemingway actually, were alright. But I had heard him bark when I had woken up for that second.

I couldn't lose her, all that time fighting, not telling her properly that I still loved her and now this was how it ended? No, the irony was too big, that was impossible. I hadn't done anything so bad that the universe would punish me like that. But what if it had? What if it wanted to show me that I had wasted my chance? I had thought the whole time that I still had time, that she wasn't running away from me but now I knew, I'd never take her for granted again which had happened before. I shouldn't have pushed her with getting married in the first place, I knew she had a hard time committing to something, why had I tried to urge her to do something she wasn't entirely sure about? I hated myself right now, I had made so many mistakes. And I should've fucking kept my eyes on the road instead of checking the GPS or I should've just driven into the horse on the street, not turn the wheel and race into a tree.

For what felt like the hundredth time, the doctor told me that I had been lucky. I knew that but what was far more interesting was if Charlie had been just as lucky. Why the hell wasn't he telling me?! There couldn't be so much to say about me, I felt fine. At this point, I just couldn't take it anymore, no matter if I was in denial or not.

"Can I see Charlie?" I interrupted him. He looked at me, taken aback. "Your friend that was in the car with you?" I nodded eagerly. "She's next door." I looked at him in disbelief. Was he fucking kidding me? Why wasn't he telling me what was up? He lowered his gaze. "Is she alright?" I asked. "I don't know, I'm not sure, somebody else was taking care of her and I came straight to you." "What?! I need to know, can I please get up? I feel okay." "Have you not been listening to what I've been saying?" the doctor asked. I sighed and decided to be blunt. "No, I'm sorry, I'm worrying about my friend." I wished I could've said I was worrying about my wife or at least my girlfriend but that's all she was for now, my friend. My friend that I didn't think I would ever fall out of love with.

The doctor disconnected me from the machine. "Take it slow, I'll check if you can see her, okay?" I nodded and swung my legs off the bed, as soon as I got up, I felt dizzy though and I only realised now that I had a strong headache. I tried to balance myself and before I made it to the door, the doctor was back and smiled. "You can see her but just for a bit, she's alright but she needs at least a little bit of rest. Also, I think you should get dressed first" he said. My heart started beating faster as I felt relief running through my body. I spotted my suitcase beside my bed and quickly pulled out a pair of grey skinny jeans and a dark sweater. Then I slid back into my shoes and stumbled out the door, a few steps down the hall and into the room that the doctor had pointed me towards.

When I entered, I saw Charlie lying in a bed and Hemingway was sleeping on top of her legs. He had a few bandages on him but he waved his tail and barked when he saw me so I stumbled over to the bed, stroked him carefully and sat down on the chair next to the bed. Charlie had her eyes closed and there were a lot band aids all over her forehead, there was blood in her hair and a cast around her hand. But she was still gorgeous. The shape of her lips still made me want to kiss her but she looked so fragile that at the same time, I just wanted to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be fine.

I took her hand that wasn't covered in a cast and saw her eyelids flutter. "Pete?" she said weakly and her voice sounded so small, she sounded like a little girl. She turned her head to me and her eyes met mine. Then she jumped to sit straight but sighed in pain. I stood up immediately, to hold her so she wouldn't move that apruptly again. Her breathing turned normal but when I wanted to pull away after she had calmed down, she held onto me so I lifted her a little, as careful as I could and sat down next to her. She put her arm around me immediately and her head fell on my chest. And before I could even say anything, I felt something wet my shirt. Oh, no.

"Charlie, is the baby okay?" I asked, scared of the answer. I couldn't do this again, I just couldn't. Her teary eyes met mine and she nodded and gave a weak smile. "Yeah, it is." I sighed in relief and almost cried myself because I was so happy that her and the baby were okay. We had really been lucky and I wouldn't mess this up again now. I hated that it had taken something like this to make me realise that I just couldn't do that.

"But I thought you were dead" she sobbed and started crying harder, trying to wrap her other arm around me too but it was connected to a machine next to her bed so I quickly tried to keep that in place. She cried into my shirt and I stroked the top of her head. "I'm so sorry, Charlie, about the accident, I didn't ... I shouldn't have..." She started shaking her head but was unable to speak because she couldn't stop crying. "No, I shouldn't have brought you into that danger, I shouldn't have typed on the GPS, I should've concentrated on the road and I didn't..." "No" she said weakly but I heard her and I knew that was as loud as she could go now but she had wanted it to be much louder to stop me. Her hand that was fine fell against my lips, obviously to shut me up. "It's not your fault, there was nothing on the street before" she said weakly, still crying. I shook my head and removed her hand from my mouth. "No, I can't pull shit like that when you're in a car with me and something could've happened to the baby. You're so important to me, I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if something had happened to you. You don't believe how happy I am that you and the baby are okay. And Hemingway too of course" I said and tears filled my eyes too but I tried to keep it together for her. It hurt so much to see her cry though. And that's when I knew I had to tell her. I had to tell her how I still felt about her so I would at least have tried, no matter what she said. I had to try. "Charlie?" I asked softly. I knew she wouldn't accept that it had been my fault so I decided to just be happy she didn't hold me responsible and swore to myself that nothing like that would ever happen again. "Hmm?" "I-..."

"Enough now! She needs to sleep, she needs some quiet so please, would you leave the room? You can wait for her, she can go home tonight but for now, I really want her to sleep so she's safe to be released tonight." "Tonight? Are you sure you don't need to watch her longer?" I asked, already forgetting the nurse had interrupted me because my worry for Charlie was much bigger. "No, she's just pumped up with painkillers so she's weak but she should be free to go tonight so please leave." "Yes, of course, sorry" I said quickly and took Hemingway, making my way out of the room.