Chapter 15

I realise the past few chapters have been long fillers but I promise, the real deal is starting in the next chapter with the road trip and Charlie and Pete, only Pete, no other characters!

-

"Your phone's vibrating" Sofia announced, remaining unimpressed as she didn't even take her eyes off the TV screen. I rolled my eyes and put down the laundry I was folding, to pick up my phone and take the call. "Miller?" "Charlotte." My heart skipped a beat, simply because I hadn't expected to hear that particular voice. "Mum" I replied and there was silence on the other end for a few seconds. Sofia sat straight and muted the TV, looking at me with her jaw practically on the floor.

"I didn't expect you to call" I admitted. I had just assumed that after having barely any contact before, after the sex tape going around online, we would just go to having no contact at all. "Francine showed me a video today" she said after some more silence. Oh dear, this was not the conversation I wanted to be having. I had just assumed she already knew and if we ever spoke again, it would be long in the past. But if she had only heard about it now... "I can imagine which one" I said, taking a deep breath because I knew I was about to be judged. "Quite a video" she said, her voice rising at the end. I pressed my lips together, unsure of what to say. "Well, I think it's pretty obvious that I didn't know I was in a video during the time" I said to make things clear. "I wanted to hear you confirm that actually." I sighed. "Mum, you might not have seen me in a while but do you really think that this is the kind of thing I'd do purposely? He tricked me, I didn't know he was filming and I certainly didn't know he would put it online." "I believe you, I still wanted you to know that I acknowledged its existance." I gulped. "Well, I'm aware of it now. Anything else?" I asked coldly because I was really hoping she wasn't only calling because of that. "Is there anything else that you want to talk about?" I wanted to tell her, I needed to tell her because I wanted her to react, I wanted some kind of reaction from her, she had to know, she was my mother.

"Actually, I'm pregnant." She gasped. "You're not married." "No, I'm not." "Then whose baby is it?" I took a deep breath. "Well..." "Oh, don't tell me it's that awful musician that I saw you with in all those weird magazines. I mean, getting famous alright but not in that way, Charlotte!" "When I started dating Pete, neither getting famous or getting pregnant were my intentions, I can assure you that." "But you are not with this man anymore, do you have the financial abilities to provide a life for this child?" "Pete will support me if I don't" I said, simply because I didn't want to discuss it with her. "Well, that's the least he can do. Me and your father would like to visit you, is that possible?" "I don't know, I'm pretty busy, me and some collegues are trying to start a magazine." "A magazine?" Her voice rose higher again. "Yes, mother." She sighed. "Well, you can call us when you're ready to schedule something." "Okay." "Charlotte?" "Yes?" "Please don't go back to that horrid musician just because you're desperate with the kid." "Yes, mother. Goodbye" I said quickly and hung up, dropping down on the couch.

"Wow" Sofia said after a while, putting her hand down on my shoulder. "Are you alright? What did she say about the pregnancy?" "Basically she isn't a very big fan of Pete." "And the video?" "She just wanted to know that I didn't do that on purpose." "No judgement?" I breathed out loudly. "Weirdly enough, no." Sofia shrugged. "Well, better than a rant, eh?" I sighed. "I guess." "Are you going to let them come over?" I bit my lip. "I'm not sure." "You have enough time to figure it out. But do you really think this road trip with Pete is a good idea?" "I guess I don't have a choice." "He could bring the contract back here and then you sign it here." "But if all the paperwork is there and if we're publishing it from there..." "Maybe it could also be your chance to talk things through, so there's no weird stuff between you anymore when you come back." I nod. "Yeah, maybe you're right" I shrugged, leaning back. She got up, running her fingers through her hair. "At least he agreed on driving with you, that's a good sign." I nodded. "Yeah."

She walked into the kitchen. "Drink?" "No, I've had far too much wine for somebody who's pregnant" I said. Sofia shook her head. "Oh, it's fine." I laughed. "No, really! But if you wanna make me something, how about tea?" "Comin' right up" she said and I heard her go back and forth in the kitchen until she returned to the couch with a huge glass of red wine and a steaming cup of tea. "Thanks" I said. She sat down and the doorbell rang. Sofia rolled her eyes and got up, putting her glass down." Thanks" I repeated because she didn't even hesitate before opening the door to what wasn't even her apartment.

I heard the door swing open and Sofia squeaked. "Oh, hey, Gabe" she stuttered and I got up, walking around the corner. "Sofia, hey" he said and when I saw him, he looked lost. "Charlie" he said and saluted me. "Who are you here for?" I grinned, leaning back against the wall and crossing my arms in front of my chest which was definitely getting bigger already, at least that's what it felt like. "For Sofia but I don't mind you either" he said nervously, running his fingers through his hair. After telling me about the super strange date, Sofia hadn't wanted to talk about it so I knew there was still some stuff to talk about which made me retreat to the living room and turn the TV up while they were talking.

Moments like that made me want to date again, or not even date but be in something that you could be sure of again, like my relationship with Pete. Me and Pete, we had been such a team which is why it had been strange to give it all up and that was probably the reason I thought I still wanted him back because now, I couldn't have him. But Pete and I were the perfect team and I wanted it to be like that again. I wanted us to at least be friends, to admit that not being friends made no sense because we no doubt had met for a reason. I just wished that things wouldn't be so awkward anymore but maybe Sofia was right, maybe we could resolve that while being stuck in a car for hours. And during this week, I maybe wouldn't see him so we would at least have a little bit to talk about during our weekend in the car. I was actually really looking forward to a road trip because I always thought that would be fun but had never done it but then again, awkward silences with Pete maybe would ruin that?

Just when I was wondering if Sofia would be leaving with Gabe or not, she returned into the living room with a huge smile on her face. "Are you leaving?" I asked, almost sure of it. She shook her head eagerly and dropped back down on the couch beside me. "No way, I'm not leaving you behind, girlfriend. Me and Gabe talked about our awkward encounter and everything's fine again. He's picking me up tomorrow." I smiled. "Alright. So how do you feel about watching some Harry Potter?"