Chapter 14

Pete invited me over for the next day so I could tell him all about the dinner and the girls. William and somebody I didn't know and whose name I had already forgotten after being introduced briefly were playing video games in the living room when me and Pete walked past and into the backyard. I sipped on the coffee Pete had made me and I was badly craving a cigarette but I put my shaking hand into the pocket of my jeans and tried to hold the mug calmly so Pete wouldn't notice. I didn't want him to know how much I was struggling with it, hell, I didn't want myself to know.

"I don't have a lot of time because I wanted to start writing today already, we wanna get enough together to get a rough first idea of an issue together" I explained when Pete didn't say anything. He nodded, then looked up at me. "Before we talk about this, let me just say that I'm sorry about offering you money yesterday." I waved it off because I didn't want to discuss it, he wouldn't get it anyway. "Did Gabe talk to you?" I asked. He shook his head. "What? No, I realised that it was really shitty, you wanna depend on yourself and you're already accepting so much from me and you said that makes you feel like you can't do things on your own and I don't want you to feel like that by offering you even more, I'm sorry." I shrugged. "Nevermind" I said because I didn't want to talk about that just yet, I felt sort of ungrateful at the same time. He breathed out in relief. "Alright, good, that's good. So, tell me about the meeting last night."

My mood lit up immediately. "It was amazing, Pete, seriously. The girls that Sue talked to, they're all like me, like me and Kate and just what I wanted, people I actually want to work with, they know exactly what I'm talking about when I'm explaining my views and it's so good to have people to discuss all of that with, it was so nice, I really really want this, I want to work with these women and I want them around all the time, with that kind of magazine in focus, not with my current boss' shitty paper. I can't wait for this to all work out." He laughed quietly and I realised that I was babbling so I shut myself up by slapping my hand against my lips. "I'm rambling, what you really wanna know is probably what kind of stuff we're going to write, sorry..." "No, no, it's really great to see that passionate and to hear that you've had such a good time and it's working out so well, I'm really really happy for you" he said genuinely, cutting me off. I smiled. "Really?" "Yeah, it's awesome to see that. But I do sense a 'but' coming, don't I?"

I sighed, nodding slowly. "I feel like I'm betraying all my principles when I'm accepting help from you. I did when I moved in with you and everything and it took us breaking up for me to get it all back together for myself. But that made me happy, making it by myself, I mean, no matter that my place and my job aren't the greatest, I did that on my own. But now, with the magazine especially, when that's what it's all about, it became even more clear to me. I don't know, it's so ironic that we need your help to make this all work." He started shaking his head while I was still talking. "You're forgetting that I believe in you and that that's why I'm doing this, not to do you a favor, at least not only ... and I mean, somebody else would also just publish you because they believe it will sell. And I really believe it would, especially to a huge group of people who are open for those kind of things, if I publish it, you'll get a lot of readers who will embrace what you're writing about because our scene's people, they're very open-minded. And also, you forget that I'll make money off of it too, it's not good entirely for you. We all gain from it. And I don't think you're betraying anything, you're taking a chance that's offered to you. Who says that as a feminist or generally somebody independent you can't accept any help, huh?" I exhaled, stressed and confused. He did have a point and I didn't want to disappoint my girls and I wanted it so much so I felt my head starting to nod slowly.

A huge smile spread across his face and he widened his arms, pulling me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him too and kissed his cheek before pulling back. "Thank you" I said. He shook his head. "Hey, thank you." I smiled too and followed him back inside and into the kitchen, seeing that the time was running, I still wanted to write and I had a doctor's appointment because I had a few questions.

"Hey, did Sofia tell you anything about that date of hers and Gabe last night?" he asked over his shoulder, making himself another cup of coffee as I put my empty one down in the sink. "Didn't he tell you anything?" I asked back, laughing to myself. Pete turned around and raised one eyebrow. "That funny? He only messaged me about how something romantic he planned went wrong." I laughed. "It's so good, she called me in the morning, you cannot top that with any awkward date stories" I grinned. He was getting more and more curious I could tell as he followed me back into the hall. I put on my jacket. "Hey, I'd love to tell you but I really have to go, you better ask Gabe. It's a long story and I don't wanna ruin it by telling it in a rush" I grinned. "Seriously?" I shrugged. "I'm sorry, I really gotta go, I was only here to tell you about the dinner." He nodded. "I know but..." "Sorry! Bye, guys!" I shouted into the living room, then opened the door and waved at Pete before pulling the door closed after me.

Later during the day, he messaged me that Gabe had told him and also that I'd have to talk to the girls if they were really in on it because if we could do the contract in New York soon, we'd need somebody who had to go and sign it and that'd mean that we'd get an office soon and could get started, the question was if we'd do that and keep our jobs or just do both at the same time which was risky?

Something I did know though was that I would definitely be the one to sign the contract and that meant that I'd probably have to go down to New York with Pete which was something I didn't really want. It would force me close to him for hours in the car because I really didn't want to fly, I didn't know why but I didn't feel safe flying pregnant. What if there would be an emergency? Then I wouldn't be able to do anything and I didn't want to get into the situation of that fear. So I hoped I wouldn't have to urgently fly for some reason during my pregnancy, only the thought of that fear already scared the crap out of me.

I spent the rest of the day writing. I wrote and wrote and when it had turned dark outside and I poured myself a cup of tea after work, I was left with four full articles on things that had recently happened. And when I opened my e-mails, most of the girls had already sent me one or two pieces as well. When I read them, there was no stopping me. This was happening, it had to happen, I was not letting this chance slide. I took all the articles I had received and two of my own and sent them forward to Pete. Then I scrolled through some more pregnancy advice blogs until I got Pete's reply.

Charlie, these are all amazing, I would take all of them even if I didn't know you. It's not because it's you, I promise. This is truly going to be awesome so pick a time to go to New York! Goodnight x

I smiled when I turned off my computer. I decided to tell him when I wanted to go to New York tomorrow because I had to figure out a time when I wouldn't have to work and when I wouldn't have to get any work done at home so the following weekend would've probably made the most sense but he probably still had to coordinate that with Ashlee because of Bronx. I took a quick shower, then went to bed. I felt the strange urge to call Pete and talk to him until I'd fall asleep again like I had a few days before but I knew that would've been weird and I didn't want that. I didn't want to make going to New York any more weird than it would be already. I was just hoping that we'd manage to get along somehow without bringing up any old points we used to fight over as a couple because those were irrelevant at this point and I also hoped we wouldn't fall into awkward silences. But during the past few times I had seen him, I had realised that whenever one of us had to leave, like earlier today, we still had something to talk about. And normally, as friends, you decide to go out for lunch or something like that if you don't usually get the time to talk but it would be weird to go out to lunch with Pete, no matter that we practically had been forced to be friends now. We had never even said we were friends but I guess getting along normally and having a kid soon kind of implied that. But I didn't know if friends maybe wouldn't be enough for my hormone-controlled brain.