Chapter 28 - Pete's POV

As soon as Charlie was sat in the cab, her head fell down on my shoulder again and she closed her eyes. The nurse had given her some more medication for the pain until it'd become more bearable and had explained to me what we would have to take at what time, the bag beside me was full with all kinds of pills and other drugs. I told the cab driver the address of my New York flat and it didn't take long until we stopped outside. I paid him a little more so he would carry the suitcases up for me while I carried Charlie. I then unlocked the door and carried her inside, putting her down on the couch. I left the suitcases by the door and closed it, thanking the cab driver again.

Returning to the couch, I placed a huge glass of water on the table, sitting on the edge of the sofa next to Charlie. I took her hand and she looked up at me. "How are you feeling?" I asked and she smiled at me, trying to sit up but I kept her down. "You should sleep some more" I said because the doctor had told me that that'd be best. She shook her head and tried to sit up again so I helped her, resting all her weight against my body. When I looked at her, she gazed back at me with big sparkly eyes.

"You know what?" she asked, slightly babbling. I grinned because she was still drugged from her pain medication. "What?" I asked. She wrapped her arms around me and kissed the side of my neck which caught me off guard so I pulled back carefully, placing her in a position on the couch that wouldn't hurt her, her head still resting against my shoulder from the side. "I think I know why we keep fighting" she said. I raised my eyebrows. I wondered if she was going to say anything that she'd regret because she was high on the painkillers so I wanted to get her to sleep again but I didn't want to leave her alone just like that. Without me asking, she kept speaking anyway, still looking at me with big eyes. "It's because I still want you" she said, poking my nose with her finger. I laughed nervously and I felt myself blush, hoping she wouldn't comment on it or remember it once she was sober again. I couldn't believe it. Was she just playing or was she telling the truth because she had lost her hesitations through the meds? "Really?" I couldn't help but ask.

Charlie pouted. "Yeah, it is, I do but I can't have you, can I? So, I'm frustrated and I stir up drama and I'm sorry." She pinched my cheek as if I was a little boy. "And also, I don't want you to think that the accident was your fault, it could've happened to anybody" she said. She moved upwards a little and pecked my lips for just a second. I was starstruck. "Petey, you're the bestest, no matter if as a friend or a boyfriend" she said, still babbling. I was starting to feel like I wasn't allowed to hear this, like these were her thoughts that she would normally have kept private so I carefully picked her up and carried her into my bedroom, lying her down on the bed. "I think you should sleep some more, the doctor said that way you'd get better faster" I said quickly before she could say any more she'd regret. I felt like I had taken advantage of her even though she had said it all by herself. Luckily, as soon as she closed her eyes and I took her shoes off her and put the blanket over her body, she fell asleep.

I left the room and sat down on the couch, taking another painkiller myself. I couldn't believe it.