Chapter 22

After driving through the same streets over and over again, which took me quite a while to realise, I finally stopped at the adress that Pete had typed into the GPS earlier. I wasn't a bad driver, just pregnant. I turned off the car and unbuckled my seat belt, taking a deep breath. Then I smiled. I had made it without Pete's help. It gave me some confidence and made me feel good. I opened the door and jumped out, then I stretched and looked up into the night sky. It was late, a little after 2am.

I shut the door and walked around the car, opening Pete's door. He had slept with his head turned to the window so it was only now that I saw he had both of his arms wrapped around the pillow I had given him and I liked seeing him sleep. Not in a creepy way that I wanted to watch him but it was so sweet to see him sleep before you woke him up, I had never seen him sleep anything but peacefully. He wasn't smiling but almost. I put my hand on his shoulder and shook him slightly. He made a quiet noise but didn't wake up. I smiled to myself and started to run my fingers through his hair. He started moving into my touch which almost made me squeak because it was so cute. Then he straightened in his seat and almost sat upright. I smiled when his eyes fluttered open and withdrew my hand from his head. He looked at me, his face was still sleepy and then his eyes almost popped out of his head.

"We're here!" he gasped. I smirked proudly. "I would like a pat on the shoulder from you because I don't want to pat myself on the shoulder." He laughed husikly and coughed into his hand to sort out his voice. "That's amazing, wow, I don't think I would've been able to drive." I smirked. "Alright! Get out of the car, we don't wanna wake your parents any later, do we?" "You're right, it's not gonna be the nicest surprise." I rolled my eyes and he jumped out of the car, I shut the door behind him. He yawned and stretched, then walked towards the door of the house we had parked in front of.

"How'd you like Wilmette?" he asked and looked back at me over his shoulder. I shrugged but smiled. "From what I've seen, it looks like your average small town." "It's the best" he said with that tone and that facial expression that you only get when you're speaking fondly of something from your childhood. It made me glad that simply being here made him so happy. I wanted him to always be that happy.

Almost automatically, he put his hand on my lower back when he led me forward and we approached the door. He rang the bell and we saw some light turn on in the house, then we heard a dog bark and I swear I felt Pete jump a little with excitement like a little boy when he heard Hemmingway. We heard steps and someone approaching the door from the other side hesitantly, then it opened.

A man with white hair who I from pictures recognized as Pete's dad right away stood in front of us and made exactly the same face Pete had made when he had realised that we were in front of his parents' house already. "Pete" he said simply and reminded me of Pete more and more. I smiled and watched them hug, the widest smile spread across Pete's face too and I couldn't help but feel incredibly happy too about the fact that we had decided to take this stop. Hemingway appeared behind Pete's dad and Pete knelt down to cuddle him before he moved on to me and I cuddled the adorable dog. "We heard the door and your mom said I was imagining things but there you are, Dale, love, look who's out here!" Pete's dad said, shouting back into the house. Then he turned back to Pete and took his hand. "Oh, she's going to be so happy to see you."

A short woman came into view behind Pete and her face lit up as bright as only a mother's can when seeing her child that she hasn't seen in a long time. "Petey, what are you doing here?" she asked when she pulled back. I stood straight again. "I'm driving to New York. And I want you guys to meet Charlie. Mom, dad, this is Charlie. Charlie, these are my parents, Pete and Dale." "Finally!" his mom exclaimed and shook my hand. "It's so lovely to meet you, I've heard so much about you!" "I've heard a lot about you too" I replied and she smiled. "Well, I do hope so!" I also shook Pete's dad's hand. "Get your stuff and come in, you kids are staying over, right?" Dale asked and Pete nodded. "That's what we were hoping for." She laughed and I followed Pete back to the car to get our stuff but as I was only halfway there, he shook his head at me and returned with the suitcases. I rolled my eyes and walked into the house behind his parents, he put down our stuff and closed the door behind Hemingway who came running after me.