Chapter 36

When I entered the restaurant, I spotted my meeting right by the window. He waved at me and I walked over to him, sitting down opposite him. He got up when I pulled back the chair and then sat down. "Chivalry's not dead" I said with a smirk. "I just wanna say real quick that I didn't mean for this to be weird, a friend pointed it out to me but I know you have a boyfriend. I just wanted to go out for dinner and saw this as an opportunity." I smiled and waved it off. "Oh, don't worry, I certainly don't mind. But thanks for clarifying it's not weird." He smiled too. "Good, good." "Have you been waiting long?" I asked. He shook his head. "No, don't worry."

We ordered and when the food came, he was telling me all about his writing. "You should really send me that, you know so far we've only got female writers but if I like your stuff, we could include it" I said, taking a sip of my water. He raised his eyebrows. "Really?" I nodded eagerly. "Yeah, sure, talking about writing with you makes me really want to read some of your stuff." He smiled. "I'll definitely send you something then, this is really exciting." I smiled too and started to eat. "So, if you don't mind me asking, apart from in the kiosk, I swear I saw you before?" My heart dropped into my pants so I shook my head and tried not to be too obvious. "I don't know where you would've seen me." He took a deep breath. "But I swear I..." "Oh, I get that feeling all the time but it's usually nothing!" He raised his eyebrows. I didn't want to talk about it and I didn't want to believe that he had seen the tape but I also didn't want to put it to the test. It was possible that he had seen me in magazines with Pete but it was also possible that he enjoyed porn and had seen the tape on a online. Either way, I didn't want to get into it so I changed the subject.

"Your site seemed really interesting. Me and my collegue would really like to work with you, I mean, we're going to show the others that are part of our team but I think they won't disagree that working with you is a good step. And to be honest, I kind of just want to make it by myself, get some money for the magazine so I don't have to depend on my boyfriend anymore." He nodded slowly. "I'm glad to help. I was thinking that you'd give me like a page, maybe two in the next issue, what do you think about that?" I smiled. "I think that would work. Also, if you show me your writing on time, maybe I can give you something to write about and we can publish it in next month's issue." His eyes widenend. "That would be amazing. I mean, I loved your pieces so I hope mine can convince you." "If they're anything like our stuff, just a bit, they probably will." He smiled with a nod, starting to roll the spaghetti from his plate onto his fork. I smiled back. "That's great." I took a bite from the pizza bread in my hand but put it down again quickly because I was already starting to feel sick.

"So, how come your boyfriend is financing your whole magazine?" I took a deep breath. "Well, he offered it so I would have a chance to make it in the business and do what I really want. I worked at a really shitty magazine before but we're all going to quit soon since our magazine seems to have started well. I think we need all our focus on that now." He smiled, waiting for me to continue. "Anyway, my boyfriend owns this music label but he offered to publish our paper so I'm really glad. I just don't want to depend on him with it for too long, I already live with him and I don't pay any rent and ... I don't know why I'm telling you all this, you probably don't even care." He chuckled. "People often feel like they can talk to me about things so feel free to, I like listening." I smiled, blushing slightly. "Yeah but I don't want to be annoying. Tell me about yourself. Have you got a girlfriend?" He shook his head. "Not for two months." He looked sort of sad. "I'm sorry." "No, it's fine. I'm over it." "How long were you together?" "Two years." I raised my eyebrows. "Wow, that's tough to give up." "Yeah but I manage." "There's always new hope." He nodded. "I guess there is."

In a way, he reminded me of Michael. Like, a nice version of Michael. And he was a writer, just like me, just like Michael. I was glad we'd be working with him and not somebody who was all business. Because I felt comfortable around him and that's what I wanted for all the people I'd work with concerning the magazine. "So, how did you get into writing?" I asked. He licked his lips before speaking, taking a sip of his wine. "Well, when I was little, I always did little news reports on what my family was up to, I filmed it with my dad's camera and everything. It was a hoot." "Where did you grow up?" I couldn't help but ask because I really wanted to know where his accent was coming from. "Russia" he said. "We moved to San Francisco when I was six years old. And when I moved out, I came here." I nodded slowly. "And you've still got that accent." He smirked. "I guess. It's the strongest when I'm around my family." I laughed. "What about you? Where did you grow up?" "Oh, I'm a Cali girl, I grew up in Los Angeles. But my family lives in Spain now." "Do you see them much?" "They're visiting next weekend actually. First time meeting my boyfriend, he's a bit nervous." Erik laughed too. "Meeting the parents, big step. How long have you been together?" "We were broken up and we just got back together." He nodded. "I see." "Why did you and your girlfriend break up?" I asked, really not wanting to talk about me and Pete anymore because I was afraid he would realise why I looked familiar to him. "Well, I kept being very jealous and I felt like ... she could do better than me, you know? I thought it would only be a matter of time until ... she would find somebody else that was better for her so why bother?" I raised my eyebrows, suddenly feeling myself shiver. "I know that sounds insane." "That's how I feel all the time" I heard myself say. His eyes widenend. "Really?" I nodded, unable to believe what I was saying but I was right. I had just never thought about it.

"That's one of the reasons I hesitated about not wanting to get back together even though I kind of liked him still. While we were apart, I was convinced he would find somebody else." I was talking about Pete and myself but I didn't mind because this was getting to the bottom of all my intentions. "But he didn't?" Erik asked. I shook my head. "No. But I feel like he will and then I'll be old news." "How can you be sure? You seem like you're always the news." I laughed. "Yeah but ... I don't know, I guess I'm just insecure, this is the only time I am ... when it's about him. I just feel like I'm not good enough."

He must've realised that this was getting too much for me so he changed the subject again. "So, we have a deal about the ad?" I nodded eagerly. "Yeah, we do." "And I'll e-mail you some of my writing?" I nodded again. "Yeah, that'll be good."

When I came back to Pete's, it was late but he was still up. I came into the bedroom and I felt drunk even though I hadn't had a drop of alcohol. Without caring, I just took off my clothes and crawled into bed in my underwear. Pete turned to me immediately and wrapped his arms around me. When I felt his hands starting to run up and down my body, I slowly moved them off of me and just cuddled into his chest. He seemed a bit confused. "Sorry, I'm tired" I said quickly and closed my eyes. He kissed my forehead and turned off the light. "Okay, goodnight."