Chapter 16

On seeing the trio that came to pick her up from the hospital, Evelyn's smile widened. As she saw her daughter's boss offer to carry her bag for her and assist her into the car and her daughter trying all she could to avoid him, she knew that her daughter had begun to have feelings for this handsome and well-mannered man. She only hoped that this man would not break her daughter's heart the way Kyle had broken her's years ago. The thought immediately soured her happy feeling. But, determined not to let that destroy her happy day, she focused all her attention on getting to know Calvin better. Who knew? One day he might be her son-in- law. Even if he didn't want to, a mother with just one daughter that had been her pride and joy all these years had to dream. After all, some dreams do come true!

********************
Cassie sent the details of another young lady to Calvin. This time, she had made sure that her credentials and qualifications were unquestionable.
Seeing that he couldn't walk out of this one, Calvin agreed to meet with the woman. Over the past few days, he had made sure there was a problem with every woman. They either had legs that were too long, or an annoying accent or even a smile that looked too fake. He had fallen deeply in love with this secretary of his who kept so many mysteries hidden and so many emotions masked by the smooth demeanour and calm facade of her angelic looking face. If only she was willing to share just a little with him. If only she could give him a chance to prove his worth.

*********************
Calvin sat at the restaurant waiting for the girl that was to meet with him. He saw her walking towards him and he smiled - not because he liked her - of course not!
He smiled because he had found a perfect excuse to escape getting married to this girl. It was quite simple - she had blonde hair now, but on the photo he had seen, she had jet - black hair and he simply could not tolerate his wife dyeing her hair.
He didn't waste any time. He merely pretended to offer her a job in his company since Cassie had earlier told him that he would have to make his intentions known himself.
She politely declined and he got up, gently took her hand although he would rather have been holding Cassie's, walked outside and then hailed and paid the fare of the cab that took her home.
Thereafter, he called Cassie and reminded her that she had only five days left to find him the last woman and that this time, she had to be perfect. Cassie had answered him in her official voice that she would do her best and then hung up.

*********************
On the last day given to Cassie to find Mr. Carter a bride, she walked into his office defeated. Mr. Carter had refused every lady she had brought before him finding errors after errors. She greeted him determined to surrender with honour although she had no idea of how she was going to pay Mr. Carter back his money.
     Closing the door behind her to ensure privacy. Then she said
   "Sir, I have not succeeded in finding the last woman to be your bride and I just wanted to assure you that your money will be fully refunded in a short while."
   Calvin got up and walked towards Cassie smiling.
  "Ms. Wilson, I urgently need a wife. Since you have failed to get me the last woman for trial and the remains till the day is over, I have decided to choose you as my bride."
   Cassie was shocked beyond words. She looked at Calvin as if he had just fallen from the sky. Had Calvin just asked her to marry him? On a normal day in normal circumstances, she would have said yes.
But then she remembered that it was only an agreement - a business transaction and she snapped out of her reverie.
Turning she told him frankly
"I am not marrying you sir. I was hired to get you a wife, not to be your wife. I have already offered to pay you back all you gave me sir."
  Calvin shook his head.
"You did not read the conditions for the contract did you? It stated that the person finding a bride could also be the bride. And unfortunately, I don't want my money back. I want you." He said looking at her pointedly as he backed her against the wall.
    As he lowered his head to kiss her, she turned her head away just to buy more time knowing fully well that she couldn't escape this one.
    A smirk appeared on Calvin's face. He held her waist with one hand and used the other to turn her face towards him. As his mouth came down on her's she clamped her mouth shut. Calvin gently exerted pressure on her jaws with his hand until she opened fir him and then he slid in. Cassie tensed still not used to the intrusion and then relaxed admitting to herself that she had longed for this. Their tongues duelled for who to take control as Calvin pressed Cassie against the wall, forcing her to feel his warmth. Cassie was lost in ecstasy when Calvin suddenly pulled away and looked down at her confused face and swollen lips. He smiled and whispered in her ears.
   "Let the wedding preparations begin."