Chapter 5: Coincidence

Bethane's POV:

Three years later:

"Hey Mom," I voice into my phone.

"Hey, sweetie! How's work?" she asks me as I'm in my car and on my way there as we speak.

"I'm on my way there. How are y'all doing?"

"Good. Your father and I just finished up our work for the reunion and we just wanted to make sure if you were coming?" she questions with hope in her tone.

My parents and I never used to go to the family reunions since they were always held very far and my dad couldn't take that much time off from his job, but this time, it's in Ohio at Uncle Blackwood's house and my dad wants to go this time. The only thing is, I'm not sure if I want to go.

After getting this internship at a law firm I worked my ass off to earn, the work is overloading. Whether it's the paperwork or the meetings that I have to be present in, I'm usually always busy. I don't mind it, don't get me wrong. Throwing myself into work actually helps me forget about everything around me and just focus on one thing in particular.

"I don't know," I reply, still unsure of my answer.

"Oh come on. We can finally attend and your father and I can brag about how our daughter is a freakin' lawyer," she says excitedly, and I smile at her words as I park my car.

"Interning and still in law school to become a lawyer," I correct her.

"Tomato, tomoto," she brushes me off. "Still has lawyer in its name."

I laugh at her enthusiasm.

My phone begins to ring with someone else calling me and when I look down, my heart stops at who it is.

"Mom, I'm getting another call. I'll call you back," I say with panic.

"Okay, just please tell me your answer by today. The reunion is soon," she pleads and I nod, but then remember she's not here.

"Yeah, I promise. Love you," I say in a hurry before hanging up.

This is it.
Breathe.

I hit the green button, trying to be calm as I put my phone back to my ear.

"Hello," my voice cracks, almost sounding like a duck.

I hate myself.

"Hi. Is this Bethane Violet Blackwood?" the woman confirms with me.

I nod.

You freakin' idiot!

"Yes. Yes, it is," I quickly let out before she hangs up on me.

"Well, Attorney White just wanted to tell you that he looks forward for you to intern at his law firm," she explains.

Instantly, I begin to freak out.

I stomp excitedly in my car because there's not much I can do in the cramped space. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter.

I got the position!

No car is around me, and even if they were, I still would've been just as celebratory as I am right now. (No I wouldn't have.)

"Ms.Blackwood?" the lady calls me after a couple seconds of silence. Well, "silence". I was discreetly squealing in my hands.

I clear my throat as I sit back like my heart isn't beating out of my chest and I don't feel like bursting like a confetti cannon. This is a very rare feeling for me so I'm savoring it.