Chapter 23: Move in Day

Bethane's POV:

"Working an eight-hour shift is more comfortable than that drive," Ben complains as he stands up and stretches his legs in his driveway.

"Thank you for helping me move all these boxes."

"Thank you for listening to my entire life story on the ride home."

I laugh, giving him a goodbye hug before making my way to Uncle B's house to pick up the rest of my things, and then back to Rider's apartment. My stomach is queasy at the thought of staying with him still, but I can handle two months. He said we'd set guidelines and rules, so I'm sure everything will be just fine. I'll stick to my job and school, and Rider has his own life going on so he'll be busy too which is perfect.

When I pull into the parking lot, I don't see Rider around even though he said he would help me with my tens of boxes.

I decide to do it on my own instead.

When I make it up to his door, I see it's been opened for me, but no sight or sound of Rider is heard or seen which is odd since he's not the quietest person.

"Rider," I call as I shut the door behind me with my foot.

I set the box down on the counter and walk further into the bedroom I'll be staying in, and then knocked on his, but got no response.

Maybe he's with Roman.

I get out my phone and dial Roman's number to see where he's gone just in case. I doubt he would just leave the front door open without being around.

"Yeah?" Roman answers.

"Do you know where Rider is?"

"He's not with me. Speaking of Rider, you're fucking moving in with him?" he answers before questioning something I have no idea how he found out about.

Well, he and Roman are best friends so I shouldn't be too shocked.

"Yeah," I finally let out after a second. "But not because we're together or anything," I quickly defend before he thinks of something like that. "It's just, I needed a place to stay that was near the firm I'm working at and Addison offered me a place to stay at her hotel, but it won't be available for two more months so I had to find a place to stay-," I begin to explain my entire life story, but get stopped mid-ramble.

"Do you feel safe there?" he skips past everything I said and goes straight to protective-big brother mode even though he's not that much older than I am.

I exhale right after that question since I forgot to breathe for a minute. "Yeah, it's a very safe neighborhood. I promise."

"Okay. And if you're still looking for Rider, check on the roof," Roman suggests. "But don't interrupt him if he is there," he adds in a warning tone.

Interrupt him?
Interrupt what?

"I won't," I swear, unsure about what I'm swearing to.

I hang up and make my way to the rooftop by pressing the elevator button.

When the doors open, I don't see anyone in front of me. Just a very pretty, very high rooftop view that looks straight into the city.