Chapter 6: Sleep

Bethane's POV:

The next morning:

"...and if the government were to see these issues, there would be no need for-," I type, but am stopped when the sound of a voice halts me. It takes me a few seconds to process what just happened since I'm a little tired.

"Did you not sleep?" I finally recognize that it's Roman's voice.

My eyes look up from my laptop for the first time in a hot minute. I turn my head around to look out the window with my eyebrows scrunched, only to see the sun has already risen. The birds are chirping which I didn't even hear, and the feeling of morning time has just awakened inside me.

What time is it?

I look at my laptop, and in the right-hand corner, it says it is seven in the morning and I'm still plastered on this chair.

"I had to finish a couple of things," I answer with a tugged smile when I remember he asked me a question.

He raises his eyebrow at me but doesn't press on anything as he walks towards the kitchen casually. I look back at my tabs and see that I'm done editing my work and have completed everything, meaning I don't have anything else to do.

Now what?

"Why are you up so early?" I curiously ask Roman. It's a Saturday and it's seven a.m. Most people would sleep in.

"Couldn't sleep either." He shrugs, opening a cabinet to get a plate out. "Plus, I have to grab the food in a couple of hours," he replies, but I'm a little too eager to have something to do so I speak right after he's said that.

"I can do it," I offer.

He's a little taken aback by my suddenness. "If you want."

I try to act cool when I say that I don't mind.

"You sure you should be driving on no sleep?"

"I'll take a nap and then I'll go," I exchange.

Roman thinks about it but then gives in with an okay, making relief wash over me since now I have something to do.

I'll take a small nap, go pick up the food, complete more levels of my Arabic lessons while driving, get ready for the reunion, and everything will be good. Everything will be busy.

I write it all down in my planner neatly with different coordinated pens, and once I'm done, I shut my laptop and go to the room Ivy and Roman told me I was staying in. It's fairly large; a dark-brown bed, a walk-in closet to the left, and a restroom in the right corner.

I get out of my leggings and sweatshirt and change into my pajamas which are just a pair of gray shorts and a gray button-up.

My back hits the bed as my headphones go into my ears, making loud, white noises come into my senses.

As I'm about to fall asleep, I see my purse sitting on my desk and something sticking out of it.

And I know exactly what it is.

I also know what'll happen if I open it.

I kick my feet over the bed even though this is something I should definitely be refraining myself from doing, slowly walking over to my bag before pulling out the white box. I stroll back and take a seat on the bed with my legs folded in crisscross form.

Should I open it? No. Yes. But what if...I don't know.

It feels as if I've been staring at it for hours and contemplating this decision which could very well break me.