Chaptee 24: Fight

Rider's POV:

I pull out of the parking lot and make my way to Beth's office so she can personally kill me because that's the type of guy I am.

She gave me the address this morning by leaving it on the counter on a piece of paper instead of actually telling me it for emergency purposes, but that's Beth for you. I remember that when she was angry before, she would either get tears in her eyes or would simply turn red. She wasn't one to shut someone out or ignore them, but damn has she changed. Not in a bad way though. What else did I expect?

I screwed up more than I had ever pictured. At one point, I thought the words I could do was ruin her grade because of the cake we made together. Boy, was I fucking wrong.

Flashback:

Monday, October 22

Mrs.Rivers walks back in to grade our cakes after we've probably killed ours, but it looks better than all those basic ass ones so that's a plus side. I was more afraid of Beth's reaction than I was of Mrs.Rivers actually.

Mrs. Rivers's eyes land on the Earth cake and almost immediately widen. Then she looks over at me and realizes who made it, making her surprise go away and morph into an 'I expected this' expression.

Beth is playing with her fingernails as she waits for a reaction which oddly makes me a little nervous too.

That's never happened before.

"This may be the best work you've ever done, so I'm giving you two a B for this..." She pauses at the end with her clipboard in hand, trying to figure out what this is.

"Earth Cake." I smile.

"Of course." She faintly rolls her eyes before walking away to the next table.

When I look over, I see Beth's jaw almost drop since that's the last thing we expected.

"She gave us a B for this shit!" she whisper-exclaims so Mrs.Rivers doesn't hear her.

"And they say being dumb is a bad thing," I sarcastically scoff at myself.

"What? I never said you were dumb," her face turns serious, as does her tone.

I can't tell if she's joking or not.

"Hey, without you, we wouldn't have had a title for this and we could've gotten a lower grade." She nudges my shoulder. "Plus, you saved the building from burning down. Granted, you almost put it on fire in the first place, but at least you stopped it," her optimism isn't the best, but she looks to be trying, so I chuckle down at her attempt.

Mrs.Rivers tells us that she's done grading and we can leave now. I'd much rather stay at school than go to the car wash. Going to work just means I have to go back to the house right after and I hate thinking about what's waiting for me.

I grab my things and see Roman and the football team talking in a circle. Beth goes with Yasmin the opposite way before shooting me a smile which fuck, is so beautiful.

I give a bird noise to annoy Roman, and by the eye roll he gives me, I've done my job.

Mission complete.