Chapter 13: Double-Date

Bethane's POV:

The minute I enter the restaurant that "Maybe: The sexiest man on Earth" texted me to go to, Ben rushes up to me in panic. I need to change that name.

"Do I look straight?" he ushers to his outfit which is a nicely fitted, blue sweater with jeans.

"You look like a dad that plays golf and has three kids."

He lets out a breath of relief. "Thank god! That's what I was going for!"

We wait at the front since Rider made the reservation and he isn't here yet.

"Okay, so how do we stand?" He tries to adjust his arm to sit on different places like my shoulder or back.

I'm very bad at this too so it's a little awkward finding the perfect position but I finally get one. We decide on back. Well, I decide on back, Ben keeps readjusting his chest or arm to make sure it looks "straight enough" to others. I've only been on a date with one guy, so there's no judgment here.

The door to the restaurant opens, and both Ben and I stop moving as we freeze, facing forward. Ben puts his arm on my back again as Rider walks through the door in a casual white T-shirt and black jeans, and I hate how he can look formal in just a simple outfit like that. His full-sleeved tattoos on both arms are fully shown which I noticed earlier are new, and his hair is also looking annoyingly perfect with probably no work done to it at all.

The door opens again, and instantly I'm caught off guard by the way Rider stands next to the stunning girl who has beautiful ginger, straight hair, and a tall lean body that almost reaches up to Rider's height. She's wearing a beautiful white dress, and the coat on her shoulders doesn't look like it's hers.

I'm not jealous, though. I hate him. He's a horrible person. I just think it's a little surprising that he could get a girl that pretty, ya know.

Why do I feel sick?
Maybe I ate something recently.

A nudge on my shoulder makes me look up at Ben who's motioning for me to say something to a smirking Rider.

Why the hell is he looking at me like that? It's not like I don't have a date.

"Hey Beth," Rider greets me in a very smug manner. "Is this your date?" He looks over at Ben.

I'm about to say yes, but apparently, Ben's got it.

"Yup, that's me," he uses his nervous voice which is higher pitched than his already elevated voice, though you can tell it's forced.

I nudge his arm a little bit because the excitement sounds a little fake, and immediately, he clears his throat. "I mean, her and I are whatever," he makes his voice way too deep as he shrugs, catching me completely off guard.

I look at him blankly because he sounded like a motor just broke on the highway, and by the looks of it, Rider definitely noticed. The girl he's with seems out of place as she looks around, but when she notices my eyes on me, she smiles before looking down at my entire body.

I don't know if that's supposed to be a nice or judgey thing, though from my experience in high school with beautiful women like her, most of the time it's judgey.