Chapter Thirty Three

It was dead quiet in the elevator, no awkward music to shuffle through the noise of the intense heartbeats of the rescuers. At the top of the elevator there was a timer indicating how long it would take to get to the desired destination. Currently, it approximated three minutes and forty six seconds. Connix quickly reminded them of what to do once they entered however that was fifty seconds ago so now each brain traveled into a direction that had their hearts bumping.

Rey's mind wandered with them as she stood squeezed in between her fellow Resistance members. First, she thought of the plan and then she floated over to Kylo. She was still startled by his actions earlier. Not only were they much different than the interactions they had previously, it shifted something in her. Normally, Kylo was quiet but stern with her, letting his soft side shimmer through in moments of need. But now, this new man was confidently seductive and powerful. She was curious why he shifted, she wondered if it was because of their long time separated from each other.

She didn't think this Kylo was different as they weren't the same person but more so he viewed himself differently and that in turn affected how others saw him. Still, he coudn't entirely fool Rey as she was his other half.

Somehow in the process of psychologically analysising her estranged soulmate, Rey began to think of the comment that the bearded ghost man made, something about a great sacrifice that she must learn. What could that sacrifice possibly be? Rey pawned this over but before a fully formed idea could show up (as her heart was fighting for the attention to be on Kylo instead), the three minutes and forty six seconds were over and the elevator pinged a gentle, light noise.

"Stick to what you know you will do. If the code word is used, the back up plan may be used but only under that condition. Trust in each other." Connix stated. She sighed deeply. "May the Force be with you."

The elevator doors opened. A dingy hallway with rows of metal doors lining the sides was exposed to their vision. One stormtrooper stood by every two doors but they all glanced at the elevator doors in shock.

"What are you doing here?" yelled a stormtrooper, pointing their gun at them as a gesture rather than a threat. Raanan took it as his cue, Connix straight behind him as they plowed down the officiers with the guns they had taken from its respected strap. Two troopers ran down the hall with their guns up, ready to smack down the two assailants but Rose's small gun nipped them both in the neck until they tumbled to the floor.

Rey had sprung into action when the doors opened, ducking to the side as her comrades shot down the troopers, smearing the shiny white armor with a thick red paint. She was rewiring the keypad in the corner that controlled all of the cells. Wires were being snapped and placed together, twisted and arranged in ways they weren't before. Seconds later, a bolt of electricity shot onto her hand, leaving a burn but opening up the cells of the prisoners. A series of pops could be heard throughout the large room.

She turned around to see Raanan pull his spear from another troopers body, he had repeated the action on all of them to ensure their death and protect their safety. He looked up and nodded respectfully at Rey, to which she did the same. This mission had made them understand each other and their motives easier. They didn't like each other but they trusted each other.

"We have 90 seconds to get them onto the elevator. They should've released the alarms by now." Rose snuck in quietly.

Rey nodded. "Right, everyone go grab two of our people."

They all scurried around the cells, searching for everyone they could. Jenkins and Raanan sobbed a little when they found each other, bringing a tear to Connix's eye. Artoo Deetoo shook with excitement when he laid eyes on the Resistance members, shouting a series of happy beeps. The sweet nurse Clementine winked at Rey as she searched to see if her help was needed. Ezma huffed a puff of gratitude as she began to open the doors for all the others. Anytime the cell didn't have a loved one, they checked the crime and closed the door on the prisoner that deserved to be there. Others were too injured or tired to come, despite the Resistence wanting to save them. Some convinced them to bring them along, which they obliged, having their party of ten grow to twenty. The large elevator could most likely fit all of them though it would be a snug fit. They huddled bodies into the container, Orion making a bad joke about claustrophobia while Rey counted those who filed in.