Chapter Nine

"Speaking of which, if you have them on your person, we can begin studying. I'm in between meetings right now so we can squeeze in a lesson." Kylo asked politely.

Rey's lips curled upwards with excitement. "No, I don't have them on me but my room isn't far away. Would you mind following me to it? I know you can see me so I bet you could follow me."

His brows furrowed. "I don't see how that will work. We've never tried that before."

"Can we test it?" Rey pleaded. She stood up and offered a hand to the man sitting in front of her. He didn't take it and rose slowly on his own. She dropped hers with a light bitterness but decided to ignore the feeling.

"I suppose." Kylo drawled out in a low voice. He stared in awe as her smile widened but remained deadpan in the face.

"Thank you, Ben!" Rey said excitedly. She began to walk towards her room, weaving her way through the familiar hallways. She heard him breathe from behind her, his sharp intakes when they rounded a corner reminding her of his presence. She felt odd knowing that the people who saw her had no idea of the man stalking her from behind. She chuckled at the idea.

"I'm not stalking you. You asked me to follow you." Kylo said, clearly reading her mind. She gave him a quick turn of disapproval.

"Tsk tsk, you shouldn't be reading my thoughts without permission." Rey teased lightly.

"Perhaps you shouldn't be talking to me while we walk. I'm sure the others will grow curious." Kylo said with a dull tone of voice.

Her cheeks blushed wildly at the thought and she was thankful for the fact he walked behind her. Quickly, she began to open the door to her room and motion for him to enter.

"It's okay, my room is in the corner of the base and there's no one around." She drawled. She gave him an expectant look and a wave of her hand so he would get in her room.

He gave her a look of confusion. On his side of the bond, he could only see her. None of her surroundings. Only her.

Rey had forgotten this as she could see his surroundings if she desired but she often opted not to as it never provided anything to their conversation. She motioned again and he took a shaky step forward, uncertain of where she thought he was stepping. A wave of annoyance struck her as she felt as if he was purposely acting idiotic.

"Ben, can you just enter my room please?" Rey pried. She motioned again and when he didn't move, she huffed and stared at him. "Come on, the doorway is large, it's not like you'll run into anything."

"Okay.." Kylo's uncertain voice wavered and he took a step forward. He had crossed the line into her room and she gave him a gentle shove so she could squeeze in behind him.

She sensed his tense attitude and gently peered into his mind. His thoughts were full of worry for her. She couldn't help her physical reaction as her brows creased and her eyes widen. Never in a million years did she expect the almighty Supreme Leader of the First Order to have any thoughts of her that weren't in regards to destroying the Resistance. She sucked in a breath before reminding herself that this bond they shared would cause different emotions in them both. She explored further.

In his brain, he was under the impression the he made her uncomfortable. It was if he believed that she still viewed him as Kylo Ren, the monster. Rey shocked even herself when she looked at that detail with disgust. She never truly thought of him as a monster, but why? She knew of all his sins, including the mass murder ones. But somehow, he still wasn't a monster.

Deeper in she looked and it seemed as though he was heavily preoccupied by the looming thought that she didn't trust him. She frowned heavily because she knew it was far from true. She felt an odd sense of trust with him, one she believed to be related to that very special connection they shared. She hated admitting it but she thought he must have been the person she trusted most though she had tried to fight the thought furiously before. She pried in a little more to see that he was sadden at even the thought of her not trusting him. It seemed to give him a new wave of anxiety and she wished for it to be gone.