T W E N T Y - O N E

Jimin's POV:

Since childhood, I was made to think that Ara knew what I had done, what happened that night.

A twelve-year-old boy who was present in the same room couldn't save her mother from jumping out of the window even though he could.

That night, when I went to call Ara to play with her, she wasn't there in the room, nobody was. I turned to leave when suddenly I heard a soft cracking voice near the bed.

"Jimin, honey, come here," I heard a weak voice. I found Ara's mother who had stains of blood on her clothes. She looked pale but still smiled as she made me sit on the floor beside her.

"What's wrong with you aunty?" I asked as she slowly caressed my face and smiled weakly.

"Ara went to my friend's place, she'll come back next week but when she does, will you promise to take care of her and be her friend always?" She asked as tears couldn't stop flowing from her eyes.

I didn't understand why was she asking me such a question nor did I know the meaning of it at that time. I blankly stared at her, she ruffled my hair gently and said, "Promise me that you will never leave Ara alone and always be her best friend," she said removing her pinky finger that had blood on it.

I look into her eyes, she looked in pain but the minute her gaze met mine, she put on a smile waiting for my reply.

"I promise aunty, I will always be there for Ara," I said and crossed the pinky finger and smiled at her, assuring that I will keep the promise forever.

"Please wipe your face," I said handing her the little handkerchief that I had.

"Stay here aunty, I'll call Ara's dad," I said but the minute I did, she pulled me towards her making me sit on the floor abruptly.

"Please don't, please," she mumbled with her voice cracking as she started to sob even louder. I couldn't comprehend what was wrong but I knew, she was bleeding, something had bad happened to her.

I sat for a minute with her and then, she asked me to get her a glass of water. I rushed to go to the kitchen and as I was filling the glass of water, the loud sound of the glass window breaking made me flinch.

I ran to the room and found the window broken with pieces of glass all around. The minute I looked outside to the ground, tears pooled in my eyes and everything got blurry as I saw Ara's mom lifeless, covered in blood on the ground.

I panicked, started to shout and ask for help as my family and Ara's dad came.

"What are you doing here Jimin?" My stepmother asked pulling me aside.

I wasn't in the state to answer as I knew if I didn't leave, this wouldn't have happened. If I would have called Ara's dad first and then left, things wouldn't end up this way and Ara's mother would be alive.

The cops came and so did the ambulance, they asked me questions about the conversation that I had before she committed suicide but I didn't say anything.

My father, being one of the finest businessmen didn't let any further investigation take place or get me involved and got me home. Ara's dad didn't want justice for her either, he just wanted the case to end soon.

"It's good that she's dead, nobody cares for a mistress anyways," I heard as I passed through Ara's house and suddenly, when I was drowned in the incident that took place and blamed myself for it, Ara's father pulled me towards him and caught both of my wrists harshly and ordered, "Don't tell any of these things to Ara."