Chapter 9

Yoriichi noticed a bridge ahead and walked across it. He looked at the citizens roaming around and surveyed the area.

'Could this be the town the crow was talking about...?' Yoriichi thought as he noticed a boy walking around aimlessly. Yoriichi noticed the boy's eyes were dull and he had a lot of bruises.

"Oh look, there's Kazumi. Poor thing, he really looks so haggard. I pity him." Yoriichi heard someone whispered as he slowly walked.

"He was with Satoko-san when she was taken."

"Oh dear. It always happen night after night. It's so creepy." another one whispered as Yoriichi halted in his tracks.

"How dreadful. When night falls, yet another young girl will get abducted!"

"It's a good thing I'm not young anymore."

"Yes but you're so old and ugly now."

Yoriichi had enough and turned back towards the retreating boy. "Excuse me." Yoriichi called out as he caught up to the young male.

The boy stopped in his tracks as he turned and looked at Yoriichi.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your story." Yoriichi stated.

---------------------------

Yoriichi followed Kazumi to the area where Satoko vanished. "She really did vanish." Kazumi muttered.

"You're still gonna keep going?" Kazumi asked Yoriichi as he watched him inspect the area. "Yes." Yoriichi replied.

"Look how late it's gotten. I'm flattered that you're so concerned for me, but shouldn't you pick up again tomorrow and get some rest?" Kazumi said as Yoriichi stopped and looked at him.

"Those things are active during the night. So I can't afford to rest." Yoriichi stated.

Yoriichi felt a different presence not too far away as he turned and ran. Kazumi tried to catch up but Yoriichi was too fast.

'What's wrong with him? He's so fast as well, I can't catch up.' Kazumi thought as he stopped to catch his breath.

Yoriichi ran across the rooftops, looking left and right as he unsheathed his blade. 'Right here.' Yoriichi thought as he jumped down from the roofs and pierced his blade on the ground.

A black liquid substance spurted out of the ground as a body was seen coming out if it. Yoriichi quickly took the figure and jumped away.

The demon emerged from the ground, glaring at Yoriichi. Yoriichi stared back at the demon and noticed a torn cloth in the demon's hand, presumably from the unconscious girl.

The demon grinded its teeth, creating an ear-piercing sound. Yoriichi was about to say something when the demon went back underground. "Who was that?" Kazumi asked as he stood beside Yoriichi.

Yoriichi looked at Kazumi then to the unconscious girl then back to Kazumi. Yoriichi handed the girl towards Kazumi, making the male confused.

"Please hold this person and stand nearby. So long as you stay close, I will be able to protect you." Yoriichi stated as he looked around.

'It can probably emerge from anywhere...' Yoriichi thought as his eyes surveyed the area.

Yoriichi took a step forward when three figures suddenly popped out under the ground. 'There's three of them..!' Yoriichi thought as he took a stance and delivered a blow to the demons.

Yoriichi managed to slice off the demons' arms that were about to grab him. 'They moved away at the last second, making the attack slice off their arms instead...' Yoriichi thought as he jumped back towards Kazumi.

'So the demon dispersed itself into three.' Yoriichi thought when an idea suddenly struck him.

'Can (Y/N) do that as well...?' Yoriichi thought as he placed a finger under his chin. 'Three (Y/N)s...' Yoriichi thought as sparkles appeared around him when he imagined himself flying kites with three small (Y/N)s.

Yoriichi quickly shook his head and focused back on what's happening. 'I need to focus.' Yoriichi thought when he felt the demon's presence behind them.

'There!' Yoriichi thought as he turned and swung at the demon. Yoriichi managed to slice off the demon's but the demon ducked down underground and moved a few feet away from him.

"You bastard!" the demon yelled, making Yoriichi surprised and Kazumi shocked.

"Back off for crying out loud! That girl's gonna go stale, damn it!" the demon exclaimed making Yoriichi glance at the unconscious girl.

"That girl's already 16, okay? If I don't devour her soon, she's gonna lose flavor by the second!" the demon yelled.

"Hey, so what? There are gonna be other nights like this. I've already fed on plenty 16-year-old girls in this town. They were all quite meaty and delicious. I'm quite satisfied." The demon behind Yoriichi exclaimed with a smirk.

"Well, I'm not satisfied, my other self! I want to consume more!" the demon yelled.

'16...year old girls..' Yoriichi thought when his eyes widened in realization.

'(Y/N) is..16 years old...' Yoriichi thought. A look of horror crossed his face when he imagined a small picture of you crying while being cooked over a fire as the three demons surround you, each one holding a knife and fork.

"You monster! Return Satoko to me. The one you abducted the night before last, to me!" Kazumi exclaimed as last demon appeared on a roof and grinded his teeth, making the same ear-splitting noise.

"Who are you talking about? If her hairpin is among these collectibles, then I've already eaten her." The demon said as he showed different kinds of accessories belonging to the girls who were taken. The demon then disappeared back under the ground, the other demons following after.

Yoriichi felt a presence coming towards him as he turned to see the demon going to attack him. Yoriichi moved to the side and tried to slice the demon but it quickly went back underground.

'They're fast to go underground before I can hit them...' Yoriichi thought as he noticed a puddle forming under him and quickly jumped away.

A demon appeared in front of Yoriichi and attacked. Yoriichi blocked the demon's attack.

Yoriichi was busy trying to push the demon away to notice the other demon behind him, claws prepared.

Yoriichi felt the box on his back shift as it opened and out came a foot. The foot went and kicked the demon straight in the head. The demon's head twisted and flew a few feet away from the kick.

One of the demons stared at the scene before them. "Why would a demon accompany a human?" the demon muttered as Yoriichi watched you get out of the box.

'What is the meaning of this... who are those two? Are they working together..' the demon thought as he went underground.

You glared at the demon you kicked and watched as it sunk back below. You turned around and saw Kazumi with the unconscious girl.