Chapter 18

"Yoriichi-dono... do you know what kind of demon we might encounter in this mansion?" Douma asked as he walked beside Yoriichi.

"No idea." Yoriichi replied while looking around. 'So blunt.' Douma thought with a sweat dropping down his forehead as he looked at Yoriichi. "Anyways, what made you become a demon slayer, Yoriichi-dono?" Douma questioned as he looked around to see if there's anything unusual.

"It's... something personal- !" Yoriichi was suddenly cut off when he and Douma heard footsteps coming towards them. The two quickly placed their hands on their weapons as they waited for the incoming demon that may attack. They were surprised when they saw it was the two kids from outside. "Eh? It's just the kids from earlier." Douma exclaimed as he lowered his guard. 'If they're here, then that means..' Yoriichi trailed off in thought. He became stiff, knowing the kids are here with him and Douma, you were left alone in the box outside the mansion.

"You two shouldn't be here. It's dangerous and either of you could get hurt." Douma informed as the two kids panted, breathless from all the running. "We're sorry! It's just that, we heard scratching noises inside the box outside!" The boy exclaimed as he held his sister close. "The box moved a bit too and we got scared so we ran to find you two." The little girl added as Douma tried to calm the two kids down.

"Even still, that box is more precious and important to me than my own life.." Yoriichi muttered, not noticing Douma looking at him with narrowed eyes and a questioning look. "You three stay here, I'll be getting the box outside. I'll be quick so don't go anywhere." Yoriichi announced as he began to head to the door outside.

Determined to return to you, Yoriichi failed to notice the house slightly shake. As Yoriichi held the door to outside, the sound of a tsuzumi drum was heard while the mansion began to shake violently. "Yoriichi-dono!--" was the only thing Yoriichi heard before opening the door, only to find himself in an empty room.

Yoriichi blinked twice as he looked around the room. 'This is supposed to be the door to outside.' Yoriichi thought as he went back to where Douma and the kids are, only to find himself in an empty and eerie hallway. "The tsuzumi drum from earlier.. it must've taken the others to another part of the mansion too." Yoriichi muttered as he walked down the hallways.

The sound of the tsuzumi drum's beat echoed throughout the mansion as it began to shake again. Yoriichi's surroundings changing for the second time. He tried to stay on his balance until the tsuzumi drum disappeared and his surroundings has finally cleared.

'I knew it. So it was the tsuzumi drum that caused it.' Yoriichi thought. "Douma and the kids must've got transported together in another part of the mansion... Douma, I hope you know how to take care of them." Yoriichi muttered as he walked around the mansion's hallways.

He looked at the numerous doors he passed and decided to open them one by one, hoping that one of the doors could get him back outside.

. . .

"Where is the exit?!" Yoriichi exclaimed as he slammed open every door he sees. He can't tell how long he's been inside the mansion. His fatherly instincts is telling him to go back to you. His little sunshine, outside of the mansion, all alone in the cold with no one beside her.

Now, Yoriichi is starting to lose every last bit of his patience. He opened another door to see a demon about to pounce on him. The demon flinched at the sight of him and shivered when it felt the dark murderous aura Yoriichi was giving.

'Oh shi-'

Was the demon's last thought as Yoriichi quickly sliced off it's neck and closed the door, leaving the headless demon on the ground.

Yoriichi was disappointed at himself. What kind of father is he if he can't even find a way out of a mansion just to return to his child?

Yoriichi snapped out of his thought and quickly shook his head. He has to stay positive. Yes, he will come back before night comes. He will come back for his daughter. With the sudden energy boost, Yoriichi began to speed up his pace with his blade in hand as he continued to look for the exit.

'(Y/N), my little sun, please hang on for a bit more...' Yoriichi thought as he turned at a corner and continued to run into another direction, slicing off every demon coming at him.

Somewhere around the corner, a male with blue orbs and astonishing pink eyelashes stared at Yoriichi's retreating figure with narrowed eyes.

"What the hell is up with him..." the male muttered as he punched a demon sneaking up behind him.

-----------------

Elsewhere...

The sound of children's cries were heard throughout the halls as the blonde demon slayer tried his best to cheer them up.

"P-please don't cry! You both might attract demons! We don't want that happening now, do we?" Douma whisper-yelled as he places both his hands and covered the children's mouth to silence them.

The children stared at him with tear-filled eyes while Douma gave an unsure smile. His eyes widened in surprise as he quickly removed his hands on the children's mouths and moved a few feet away from them.

"You disgusting kids! Why did you lick my hands?!?!?!" Douma exclaimed in annoyance as he aggressively wipes his hands on a handkerchief he took out.

"We're lost and we don't know where the other mister went! We could be killed! And you don't have a weapon with you!" the boy said as he hugged his little sister close to him.

"Mind you, I have a weapon to defend us! Look!" Douma replied as he pulled out two large fans and posed in front of the two kids.

"I accidentally broke my sword during the last mission I was in. I was told that it would be replaced with a new one so I asked the headquarters if I could have these fans for the time being." Douma explained with a grin on his face while sparkles appeared around him.

"That looks uncool..." the girl muttered, not noticing Douma flinching at her comment.

"Maybe he'll blow away the monsters by fanning them..." the boy replied.

Douma now has a gloomy aura surrounding him as he looked at the children with a pout and tears forming in his eyes. "I CAN BEAT DEMONS! YOU TWO ARE SO MEAN!" Douma waved his arms around as he yelled at the two kids.

"YORIICHI-DONO WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME WITH THE KIDS!!!" Douma exclaimed in exasperation as he looked at the ceiling while clutching the sides of his head in annoyance.