019. city of lanterns

Madeline and Malia parted ways once they had entered the Institute

Madeline and Malia parted ways once they had entered the Institute. The Bane wandered through the living quarters, passing Isabelle's room. The door was open, but the room was empty.

She continued walking, stopping once she reached Clary's room. The warlock reached out and knocked on the door. A couple of moments passed, before the door opened, revealing Clary who wore a singlet and a pair of fluffy pyjama pants.

"Malia! Hey." Clary smiled. "Hi." Malia smiled back, before Clary stepped aside, "Come in." She insisted, motioning for the Bane to enter her room.

Malia entered the room, looking around. The first time she'd ever been in this bedroom, was after Clary convinced her to come back to the Institute with her and the other Shadowhunters, after she went through Manhattan, destroying everything and releasing demons everywhere. Now she stood here weeks later, with a very different headspace. It wasn't to say that now she was perfect, but she was damn well trying to better herself.

"How was the citadel?" Malia asked, taking a seat on the edge of Clary's bed. The orange haired girl slumped into the spot beside her. "It was really beautiful... not that we got to go inside." She confessed. Malia looked puzzled, "Really?" She asked. Clary nodded sadly.

"But I learnt that I don't have demon blood." The Fray piped up. "Why did you... think that it was a possibility?" Malia asked, confusedly. Clary shrugged, "Jace has demon blood.. I thought I may have too."

Silence fell upon them for a moment before Clary asked, "What did you get up to today?" Malia answered, "I went to an appointment this morning and then afterwards I got pizza with Izzy.. then I went to Paris and did a LOT of shopping." The warlock explained before she giggled.

Before Malia could ask anymore questions or continue her conversation, her yellow cat eyes pierced through, brightly staring at Clary. Quickly, Malia blinked until they disappeared, "Sorry!" She quickly said. "What are you sorry for?" Clary quickly asked, unsurely. Malia bit her lip before she confessed, "My warlock mark can be intimidating.. Sometimes I have some moments where I can't control when they are visible." She explained. Clary's expression softened, before she smiled, "I think your cat eyes are really cool." She answered honestly.

Malia smiled lovingly, before she remembered the question she had been meaning to ask Clary... the one she had asked Isabelle earlier that day. "Uh, Clary?"

"Yeah, Mals?"

"My therapist.. set me a task this week.. to ask those I'm close to, what things they value about me... can I ask you?" The Bane asked. Clary sat up straighter, "Hm.. what do I value about you?" She asked aloud, her tone of voice sounding a little flirty, yet coy.