023. love is a devil

Malia sat outside, sipping on coffee

Malia sat outside, sipping on coffee. She had an easel in front of her, and she was trying to paint the view off of the balcony. She hadn't painted before, other than her attempt when she went to the Institute of Arts with Clary. The warlock definitely wasn't good at it, but it kept her occupied and she seemed to enjoy it.

"I thought you were supposed to be helping your brother."

Malia looked away from the easel, as her eyes met Jace, who was studying old books, trying to find information about a demon. "I was helping him.. but he started being a perfectionist and wanted me out of the way." She laughed. Jace shrugged, it definitely sounded like Magnus.

Suddenly, the cats sitting on the balcony began to surround Jace, as they begged for attention. Jace looked at them before he huffed, "Magnus!"

Magnus suddenly exited the apartment and onto the balcony. Seeing the cats, his eyes lit up. "Aw! Salut, mon petits chats." He greeted before looking to a ginger cat, that was unfamiliar to him. "You're new, aren't you?" He asked.

Using magic, Magnus made bowls filled with milk appear, on the concrete. The cat all made different noises of excitement, before they raced over to the bowls. "I spoil them. I can't help it. It's the only way to win them over." Magnus stated. "Well, I guess when you put your mind to it, you can win over just about anyone, huh?" Jace suddenly asked.

Malia gave Jace major side eye, knowing that he was clearly talking about Alec. "You're talking about Alec." Magnus said, before he sat across from Jace.

"Look, I've been there. I know it's a whirlwind fling that burns so hot all it can do is flame out." Jace began before Magnus frowned, "Is this what you think it is? A fling." He asked. Malia frowned, "Is what you have with Madeline a fling?" She suddenly asked. Jace frowned at her for a moment, "Irrelevant." He replied before he looked back to Magnus.

"I don't know what it is, but I know my brother. He's sensitive. And now that you guys have taken things to the next level..." Jace trailed off before Magnus sighed, "He told you." Malia stopped painting, with the sudden realisation. "Wait— that's why you gave me extra money to stay at the bar with Simon the other night?" She asked, amusedly. Magnus opened his mouth to answer her but Jace spoke up.

"No, Alec didn't have to. We're parabatai." He said, as Magnus and Malia both had a worried look on their faces. Malia then covered her mouth, trying to hold back a laugh. Jace blushed, realising that the warlocks had the wrong idea. "No, no, no... it's not like that. It's... I can, uh... I can just, I can sense that he's happier."

Malia went back to painting, but was still silently laughing to herself about what just happened. Magnus nodded at Jace.

"Look, I'll make this simple, okay? I'm never gonna let anyone hurt him." Jace declared, before Magnus smiled, "Then we have that in common. You think I'd invite Maryse Lightwood to my home for just anyone?"