13

Miranda rolled over in she and Ben's queen size bed, reaching out for her husband. When her hand hit the cold side of the bed, she realized he wasn't there. She clicked her teeth in frustration. She did this almost every morning and it sadden and pained her just the same. He was gone and had been gone for months now.

She missed him dearly. They talked on the phone every night on a schedule. She got off at 9 most nights and he would call, other nights she sat an alarm for 3am because he would be on a 24 hour on-call shift.

Ben faced time Symphony as much as he could, which normally would be at night and during the day on the weekends. Miranda adored them. Ben read to her, talk to her about shapes and everything under the sun. Her first time saying Dada had been over the phone. Symphony said it as soon as Ben answered the face time. Her milestone made Miranda cry, just like all her other milestones. She loved the babbling that she did, but the one words that she was learning, Miranda couldn't have been anymore proud.

Miranda was also glad that she took her first steps way before the wedding and Ben leaving. They were sitting around watching TV and Symphony was sitting on her play mat. She already knew how to pull herself up when holding on to things. So focused on their movie, Neither of them saw her ball roll across the room until, she took her first 3 steps walking pass them, attempting to get it before she fell.

" Symphony!" Miranda said excitedly as she jumped up from the couch.

"Her first steps!" Ben exclaimed standing up as well. Miranda and Ben hugged and kissed. "We need to try to get that on record." Miranda said as she ran to go get the camera.

She came back and set the camera on top of the table making sure it was positioned right.

Miranda grabbed her ball and sat on the floor. Ben sat down behind Symphony and he held her by the waist to steady her as she stood. Miranda scooted closer so it wasn't a great distance between them. " Okay. After she gets her balance let her go and I'm going to call her to me." Miranda said making eye contact with Ben.

Miranda held the ball up, showing Symphony. "Symphony come to mommy." Miranda repeated. Ben took his hands off of her stomach as Miranda called her. " Here is the ball, come to mommy" Miranda chanted. "Oh she is doing it, Ben look at her steps." Miranda shouted as Symphony took four steps towards her and then stumbled, falling into Miranda's lap. "aww you did so good." Miranda cried as she lifted her up and kissed her head. Miranda stood up with her in her arms and Ben wrapped his arms around both of them, embracing them.

Miranda snapped out of her flashback and she sat up in the bed. After she took her shower and put her clothes on, she heard the whine of her child. Like clock work she is up every morning at 7 am, ready to be out of her crib and in her high chair to eat. Miranda walked into her room and saw her standing in the crib holding onto the bars. Miranda's face lit up and matched Symphony's as she reached her arms up, silently asking for Miranda to pick her up. Miranda picked her up and kissed her on the head, she brought her into the kitchen and sat her in the high chair.

Miranda made oatmeal for her and cut up bananas. She put milk in her sippy cup and sat her food in front of her. Miranda made herself coffee and a bagel. She sat in front of Symphony and watched as she ate. Symphony scooped her oatmeal up with her spoon. She handed it out to Miranda. Miranda raised her eyebrow at her and Symphony blew out air from her mouth. "Oh you want me to blow it." Miranda said blowing on her food. Miranda laughed as she put the spoon in her mouth. This little girl was something else. She was making a mess with this oatmeal. But she was being a big girl, when Miranda was trying to feed her she would grab her hand and try to do herself, so Miranda gave in.

After Miranda cleaned her up and dressed her. She grabbed her purse and her diaper bag. Miranda held her hand as they walked out of the door.

Miranda dropped Symphony off at day care and went to go change into her scrubs