Chapter 15: Collect what's left

Enjoy!
3rd PoV

A Chainsaw sounded.

Charlotte halted. Behind her, David whipped his head around just in time to see the chubby Killer rounding the corner. Luna, next to him, threw her hands up. „Bubba, it's us!" she gasped out.

The Killer stopped his chainsaw and wobbled forward to enclose the Survivor in a hug.

Biting her lip at the feeling of little needles penetrating her injured skin, she rubbed circles on his back. David cringed internally at this.

Charlotte pushed in front of him, just in case, and held Victor back. Who, again, wanted to jump out and climb on people. Like Charlotte wasn't already carrying him around all the time.

The Cannibal released Luna from his big ol' bear hug and softly patted her head like someone might do to a little pup. Luna smiled again.

„Have you seen Max anywhere?" she asked. Bubba babbled something incoherent before pointing to the Thompson house and then to the cowshed further away. David narrowed his eyes and Luna tilted her head.

After a moment it clicked. „Ah. He isn't in the house nor the cowshed. You don't know where he is?" He shook his head, then nodded and shook it again. Bubba pointed to the ground and then shrugged.

„Max is on Coldwind Farm, but you don't know where?"

The Cannibal nodded. He fiddled with his fingers. Luna squinted her eyes at the Cannibal. Charlotte looked grim, she must knew too.

Luna clasped her hands. „Alright then I guess we just have to... SCATTER!"

The group parted at once, all running in different directions. Causing Bubba to let out a shrill babble. He settled on the british boi.

Luna wandered through the cornfield, listening for Claudette or Max or anything. It didn't take long. Like the cornfield god of Coldwind heard and answered her prayers, her journey through the cornfield took her to the pigtree, where Max and Claudette casually sat with their backs to her.

The botanist messed with some of the flowers that grew at the roots of the tree. Max had a flowercrown on his head. He looked so happy. Luna smiled softly at their cute interaction, but alas she had to get Claudette and the others back to the Survivors side of the bipolar river.

Carefully approaching the pair, Luna sat down behind them. Startling the poor healer. „Greetings you two."

Max eyes immediately zeroed on the bandages around her exposed middle. He let out a small distressed sound and pointed to them. Luna cringed.

„Oh, dear what happened?" Claudette asked, examining the bandages.

„Oh funny story Claudette really. So apparently some Survivors managed to cross the cleaving river and then I had a bad run in with the Blight, but don't worry. I'm doing a-ok."

Max light eyes darkened at the mention of that fleshy speed demon. He heard and saw what damage the Blight brought with. He sure as hell did not like that the Blight attacked his first ever Survivor friend.

I mean, how dare he? The audacity of some people!

„So, to sum it up; I'm sorry Max, but Claudette needs to come back over to the Survivors side. We don't want Talbot to nick her too, right?" Luna looked in his eyes.

The botanist looked down at the flowers in her hands. She did not want to leave this comforting moment with the Killer. As crazy as it sounds, but she felt safe and content with him at her side.