Chapter 28

The day I dreaded the most had come. January had rolled around and the date for her funeral was today.

I put on my black suit as I prepared for the funeral. It was outside, but I never minded the cold.

As we arrived at the garden it was taking place in, I noticed the people who had came. Shay had flown in, and her mother and Jax, my whole family, some football friends, other family, everyone who I could think of to be here.

Walking down the line of chairs, people were taking turns going up to the casket. I let out a big deep breath as my mom wiped tears from her eyes. "We should go up there, Marcus. It's only right." I nodded at my mom.

Walking up to the casket, I felt my whole body stiffen. There she was, laying down. They had touched her up a little, but you could still see the lifelessness in her. A tear trickled down my cheek as I hovered over the casket. "I'm so sorry, Olivia. I'm so sorry." I whispered and walked back to the chairs; I couldn't bare to see her anymore.

Her mother spoke her eulogy, breaking down in between sentences. I was offered to be able to go up and speak at the funeral, but I declined. I couldn't bring myself to go up and speak about her. I may have been being selfish, but I still wasn't ready.

As the funeral continued, the air grew colder. In a matter of seconds, snow started to fall from the sky.

I know it was January and snow was normal at this time, but it sparked something in me.

Feelings came flooding back. The winter formal. The night we had our first kiss. Snow. It snowed. I couldn't help but let tears slip from my eyes, remembering she was the one who showed me the beauty in snow. It was her favorite weather.

Shortly after the funeral, which was already hard enough, was the mans court case. The man who had killed Olivia.

My family and Olivias family had showed up to the court, making sure justice was served. I swear to god if the man got off on this, I would've killed him on the spot. But there was no way he would, he murdered someone while drunk driving.

It amazed me how lawyers could defend someone so guilty. I know it's their job; but he was a murderer. He murdered the girl I loved. The girl who deserved her happy ending.

We sat as the judge hit her gavel on the wooden table. The court was now in session and there wasn't much arguing until the decision was made.

"In the case of Mr. Levi Shwartz Versus the People, you are found guilty. You are hereby sentenced to life in prison, without possibility of parole in the state prison on the count of driving under the influence, first degree manslaughter..." The judges voice faded out as a tear ran down my cheek.

I was happy she got justice, but why didn't I feel happier? It was because she should've been here.

She was 17. 17 years old. She didn't deserve to go so soon, her happy ending never came.