57: Last Laugh

First to do. First to cry -Nigerian Saying

First to do. First to cry- Nigerian Saying

She kept her eyes on the beach chair, hurrying towards it with one goal in mind. She had draped the scarf over the plastic chair as soon as he had led her to this secluded part of the beach. She walked out of the sea, salty water dripping down the curves and the edges of her body to the cool wet sand below.

She ran towards the chair. It was nowhere to be found. Her eyes roamed around the surronding area. There was nothing but sand, some nylons, PET bottles and an empty wine glass.

"Looking for something?"

She jumped when she heard Olumide's voice behind her. Her hands flew to cover her breasts as she tucked each arm in the alternate armpit.

" Why did you sneak up on me?" She turned to him with a frown.

"I jumped over the rock. You thought it was fun to trick me and I did the same." He poked her nose, his eyes twinkled with a smile. "Where are you going?"

"Away from you."

"Come on. It was funny."

She paused and turned to him with a hard glare. "Funny? Funny? I'm naked."

"And you look beautiful."

"Shut up!" Romola picked up her pace.

"Wait!"

She ran away from him. His heavy footsteps in the sand followed hers. Her legs carved a hole in the loose sand that failed to support her feet. She couldn't outrun him, not with the sand melting underneath her feet and with the secluded beach space becoming smaller with each step she took.

"Take my shirt."

"No."

"Romola, don't be like this." He caught up to her and hugged her

She struggled against his hold but he tightened his hands, pressing her wet body into his clothes.

Olumide bent his head towards her ears. "I'm sorry baby."

"Jut leave me. That wasn't funny."

"I said I'm sorry."

"You're not."

He laughed. "Alright, I'm not."

"Leave me. That's what you wanted anyways."

"I promised I was going to take care of you and I meant it." He placed kisses from the top of her neck to the curve of her right shoulder.

She struggled to keep the tears from breaching through her eye lids. She thought he had abandoned her for real.

"Come on, take my shirt."

"I want my scarf."

"I'll ony give it to you on one condition."

He released her and she turned to face him with her hands akimbo.

"Smile."

"Why?"

"Just smile."

She forced her teeth open and put on the widest smile she could fake. He smiled back at her and her eyes narrowed, until she saw his camera flash twice.

"What is wrong with you?" She pushed his chest.

He staggered backwards, with the smile still on his face. "You look cute when you're angry."

"I want to leave." She folded her hands around herself.

He dug into his pocket and handed her the scarf. She snatched it out of his had, turned away from him and wrapped it across her skin. The air had dried the water that his clothes had not soaked up.

He reached for her hand but she shook his off. "Don't touch me."

He carried her bridal style and she buried her head in his chest, allowing the tears to flow freely now. Did he find her anger funny? So funny he had to take a picture of her? What did he find funny about the fact that she wasn't comfortable standing naked on the open beach even if it was just the two of them. She listened to the steady beat of his heart and traced lines on his wet shirt as he carried her to the promenade and then to his car.

He dropped her by the back door and she huffed, facing a different direction and wiping the tears from her eyes. "Delete that picture, Olumide."

"Just wait in the car. I want to get the food cooler." He unlocked the car then opened the door to the passenger seat.

She opened the back door and crawled into the car away from him to the other side. He closed the door and left. She reached for her clothes in the front seat and put on her t-shirt and bom shorts before he returned.

"Romola, but you know you started it."

She eyed him, hissing.

He sighed, opening the door, settling into his seat and putting the food warmer and other things on the seat besides his. He strapped himself into the seat with the seat belt. Her eyes rose to the mirror and met his there. Fury overshadowed her face.

"I'm sorry. I mean it this time."

"You don't."

"Would you like to eat anything?"

She hissed again, looking away and locking her eyes with the sand on the beach. She placed her head against the window. He took it too far. It wasn't like she was so upset with his seeing her body even though she didn't feel entirely comfortable with it but she didn't like the trick he played, especially when he knew she was mad.

"Just delete the picture."

Author's Notes:

Sorry for the long time between pdates. Currenlty working on my project and in my final lap of my final year. Feeling very overwhelmed. Pray for me. Thank you.