12: Promise me

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
--George Washington

The waiter arrived with another waiter following closely.  Each waiter carried a tray.  Olumide was quiet as the waiters set the table. Romola inhaled the smell of grilled fish and potato chips that wafted from the glass plate to her nose. Her tongue watered. She wished to dip the slender potato chips into the  yellow sauce but she hesitated. Olumide's words still floated in her ears. 

"This looks delicious." Olumide replied. The first waiter returned to the table with a jug full of watermelon juice. He filled the glass cups beside each of their plates then walked away. 

"Yeah. I can't believe they serve fish and chips in such a classy place. I was expecting oriental dishes." She stared at the fish in her plate. She wasn't going to encourage a conversation that would make her doubt her friend. She trusted Yetunde and she knew Yetunde like she knew every pore on her body. 

"They serve everything and they serve it fresh. You just have to order what you want."

"So... " She picked the clear glass fork beside the plate expecting it to be heavy but it was light and slim in her palm.  "You want me to spy on my best friend."

"Spying is a strong word.  Just watch her closely without her knowing about it." Olumide cut off a piece of the fish and dipped it in the sauce. 

"That's still spying. " Romola dipped the chips in the sauce and put it in her mouth.  She moaned in pleasure as the sweet spicy taste of the sauce kissed her taste buds and blended with the taste of the chips.   "This is so good.  What kind of sauce is this?"

"I'm not exactly sure. I think it's spiced vegetables."

They ate quickly and silently. Romola wasn't interested in discrediting Yetunde's image. She watched Olumide wolf down his food from under her lashes.  He seemed more interested in emptying his plate than talking about Yetunde's issue.  She took his cue and gobbled her food. She had to return to Yetunde and tell her all that she had heard. 

It seemed like the waiters were on standby because she had barely dropped her fork when her empty plate was replaced with a dessert plate bearing a slice of red velvet cake. 

"Fish and chips. And now cake?" She asked, staring at Olumide's face.  "I'm not sure that I can eat anymore."

"Isn't that what you University babes like?" He grinned, leaning into his chair. 

"I prefer turkey. Where is your cake?"

He patted his stomach. "No desserts for me."

Romola gently pushed the cake away from her.  "I don't want this.  I mean,  I'm satisfied."

"Go ahead and eat it. It's for you."

"I'm stuffed." She made a show of staring at her wristwatch. "And look at the time.  Yetunde would be worried about me.  I need to call her and-"

"No." Olumide's hands encased hers as she reached for her phone on the table.  "She mustn't know that we're talking about her problem."

"She does not have a problem and I can't spy on my best friend or anyone else for that matter."

She pulled her hands from underneath his soft warm palm but she didn't pick up her phone. She missed the heat and comfort of his hands. Her heart raced in glee but she wore a stern face and buried her hands under the table.

"Look, I know you don't trust me but what would I gain by lying? I'm convinced that she's not only using them but she's also addicted to them.  I just want you to watch her and make your own judgement about this issue."

"I can't." She answered. "And even if I do and I find out she's taking drugs -which I don't believe she is- what can I do? Should I confront her?"

"No.  Don't do that. Right now,  you're the person she trusts most. She thinks her family is against her but she'll be carefree around you."

Romola raised a perfectly shaped brow. "And you think that if I spy on her I won't lose her trust?"

"Don't look at it that way.  Just think of it as a way of  looking out for a friend. Try it for a week and if you're not convinced then I'll accept your decision and let this go."

"On one condition. I need you to promise me something."

"Whatever you want."

"Promise me that you'll let this go if I find nothing and you'll tell Yetunde about this," She paused, feeling the weight of her next words pierce her heart.  "Then you'll take her out on...on a date as an apology."

"A date?" His face remained blank. "I can't-"

She cut in, raising her voice over his. "I'll do as you've said but only if you agree to the condition."

"Fine," Olumide resigned.  "but I doubt that date would ever happen and if I'm right about Yetunde then you have to take me out?"

"On a date?" Romola's heart knocked against her chest as her eyes flew to Olumide's face. She'd only asked him to take Yetunde so that Yetunde's fantasies about Olumide could become reality.

"Yes Romola," He leaned into his chair with a victorious  grin on his smooth face.  "You will take me out on a proper date."

"We'll see about that." Romola dug the dessert fork into the cake and cut off a piece. She placed it in her mouth while avoiding his eyes.  For her heart's sake and her best friend's happiness, she prayed that Yetunde had never seen ecstasy. Much less tasted it.

🌸🌸🌸🌸
Tari says:

Hello,
I hope you're having a good day.
I know this update was supposed to be uploaded on Wednesday but I did it today because on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I was working on the trailer of this book (👆 there)
Please watch and tell me what you think about it.
One more thing:
Don't forget to:
Vote
Comment (I need to know what's on your mind and what you believe will happen)
Share