79: Senate Council

Every eye looked upon her, as she walked behind her course adviser, like she was an injured puppy. They all knew why she was here. The hat and sunshades couldn't protect her. Not now that her name had been announced for entry into the council room.

Mrs Adekunmi opened the large wooden door and Romola scrambled in, hoping the doors would shut out the murmurs. She folded her arms but a sharp look from her course adviser had them dangling by her sides.

"Don't you have any respect? Remove those glasses."

One of the five men, seated at the large table on the other end of the room, barked. The table was on a large raised platform, giving the men an imposing look. The biggest of the men with the huge belly gestured towards her hat and she took it off, hoping her braids looked presentable enough. They'd been through enough from her mother's beating to Yetunde's assault.

Without her protective gear, she felt like she was stripped naked beneath the men's assessing gaze. Her eyes dropped to the white tiles beneath her shuffling feet as her hands wrapped around her body once more. She remembered the time that she had spent on the beach and how Olumide had taken a picture of her without her bra-let. How could he post those pictures? She found herself curling up in shame as tears filled her face.

"What are you crying about?" A gruff voice asked. "You know the university has a code against sexual immorality and conduct. If you were going to do this stupid thing, you should have kept it private."

"Sir, I-"

"Shut up. You will not speak unless you are asked to. Do you understand?"

She nodded

"Answer me."

"Yes sir."

The secretary of the council read, out of the school's prospectus, the school's policy on sexual immorality and mentioned the code of conduct that she had transgressed as well as the punishment it deserved. He ended his speech on a solemn note.

"Miss Moromola Grace Ibikunle, you may now step forward."

Romola tried to hold back her tears. Her fate had been decided. She would lose the very thing that mattered most to her in the whole world. All that she was waiting for was a final verdict to end her education and destroy all chances of her reuniting with her mother.

"Do you have anything to say in your defence?" The gruff voice asked again.

She shook her head. What was there to say? That she wasn't the one in the video? How was she to prove her innocence? Could she even claim to be innocent? It was bad enough that the videos were out there. The scathing caption that followed the video created ridges on the soft flesh of her heart.

"Sir, may I speak on behalf of the student?" Mrs. Adekunmi asked.

"I don't see why a talented dancer like herself can't say a word or two."

"Wale, let the woman speak."

"Fine, you have a few minutes."

Mrs Adekunmi stepped forward. "This young girl here is like a daughter to me. I am very disappointed in her but like all children are prone to make mistakes, she has done the same. You see, she sent those videos to a friend in confidence but that friend breached her confidence and now this girl is left to suffer the consequences of public shame.

"I assure you, stemmed academicians that she is remorseful concerning her part in this activity and she did not intend to shame the excellent name of the school. I beg my learned colleagues to be lenient in their application of justice. The university is a place to train the future leaders in character as well. I am sure that she will learn a lot from this lesson. If the council will be gracious enough to consider my request, I will ensure that she does not repeat such gross misconduct again."

The secretary's face softened. "You are aware that your pleas have little gravity on the council's decisions. Right?"

"I only ask that you temper justice with mercy."

"We will give our verdict in a minute."

The men spoke in low furious whispers, casting pitying and accusatory gazes towards Romola occasionally.

They turned to face her and the secretary gave the verdict.

"Despite the points raised by esteemed colleague, we are unable to find any ground to repeal our decision. The image of the school was shamed in this situation and it would speak badly of us and be shameful to the alumni if we were to condone such public indecency. Miss Moromola Grace Ibikunle, you are hereby rusticated from the university. Maybe your case will serve as a deterrent to others for them to avoid dragging the good name of the school into the mud. We wish you the best in your future endeavours. Your case is closed."