10: Glass Court

"The strength of Truth lies in Love and the strength of Love lies in Truth."
--Pandurang S Athavale

Olumide held the door open, watching Romola step out of the Chevrolet and unto the intricately designed interlocking stones that paved the way to the restaurant

Olumide held the door open, watching Romola step out of the Chevrolet and unto the intricately designed interlocking stones that paved the way to the restaurant. He watched her eye widen as he took her soft warm hands in his. The look on her face was priceless. His heart fluttered at the look. She was truly beautiful.

"So..." He began, wanting some kind of verbal reaction to be sure he wasn't overdoing things.

"Wow," She said, staring past him to the large bow windows that flanked each side of the marble arch leading into the restaurant. He took that chance to put his hands around her waist and pull her close. She didn't squirm at his touch like he feared she would. He sighed in relief, enjoying the feeling of her body so close to his. He inhaled her flowery perfume. "It's so big."

"Wait till you see what it looks like inside," he said. The valet came to them dressed in a gold vest on purple packet shirt and black trousers. Olumide handed his keys to the valet, leading Romola up the marble staitcase, past the two grey Greek pillars, under the curve of the bejewelled arch into the large dinning area of the restaurant. He often had dinner here with his family whenever he was in Lagos. It had been a family ritual to come here every Friday.

"Oh..my-" Romola froze beside him. "Everything is made of glass!"

He grinned leading her towards the glass counter where the staff in charge of reservation and seating usually stood. He recalled how shocked he'd been the first time his dad brought him here. He wondered how anyone could be bold enough to make an entire resturant out of glass. It wasn't just glass. There were some well polished brown wood at strategic places to support the clear glass decor. The lights from the chandelier reflected on every surface, giving the room a bright ethereal appearance.

"It's as large as a theater," She marvelled on. He wished she would keep talking. He loved the soft way her voice sounded. A fair-faced plump woman, dressed in the same uniform as the valet but wearing a skirt instead of a trousers, attended to them.

"Mr Makinde." Her red coated lips parted in a smile that revealed her dazzling white teeth as she placed her hand on the glass counter. "Good evening."

"Good evening."

"Shall I lead you to your usual table?"

"No. No. Just a table for two."

The woman gave him a knowing smile and nodded at one of the two men sitting on the chairs beside her. She whispered something to the man then pointed at Romola. The man led them past brilliantly clear glass tables to a curving staircase having its railing made of glass and the stairs made of black marble with swirling grey patterns. The staircase led to a higher floor. The décor on this floor was different. It had a partly open roof and the floor was made of glass tiles unlike the polished wooden floor downstairs. The lights were fairy lights placed in small lamps and mounted on strategic spots on the wall, tables and the balustrade around the floor.

"What is this place?" Romola wishpered to his hearing. She still sounded shocked. He hoped he hadn't overdone it.

"It's..." Olumide was tempted to say, 'beautiful like you.'  but he knew that he dare not say that. Not yet. "A private place. Here we can talk without distractions about Yetunde."

"Oh right." Romola pushed his hand off her waist, staring at him with a straight face. He wondered why she tried to be distant? He hadn't even told her how he was starting to feel. What would she do if he did that?

"Sir, miss." The waiter showed them a glass table with clear glass seats at each side of the table. Olumide watched Romola take the seat that the waiter held out. She sat down, and he took his seat opposite her.

"I'll get the menus right away." The man bowed slightly and hurried away. Olumide set his eyes on the beauty queen before him. She was sitting straight in her chair with her hands tucked on her laps. She looked uncomfortable even though her face gave away no emotions. He wished they could be something more than acquaintances. What? He wasn't sure of that yet. But he would figure it out after this issue with Yetunde.

"Romola," He called.

"Yes."

She stared at him and he heard the bells in his head ringing. She had such flawless cat eyes perched above a slimish nose and a beautiful oval face. Her dark skin glowed with an oil sheen and he couldn't help but let his eyes drop to her luscious pink lips. What would they taste like?

"Are you okay?" He asked, choosing to focus on her face as a whole.

"Em..yeah..why shouldn't I be?"

"You look tense." His words seemed to worsen the situation. Her back ramrod straight and her lips tightened. "It's okay if you don't feel comfortable here. We can leave."

"It's okay. I'm fine. We already drove a long way to get here." He heard her say. He liked that her hair was packed in a high bun which gave him access to state at her dark skin unobstructed. He loved that her make up was light, an accessory to her dressing rather than the main feature. If it wasn't for Yetunde's problem, he would've asked Romola out on a proper date.

"I'm serious Romola, if you don't like it-"

"It's fine." She insisted. "What's wrong with Yetunde?"

The waiter returned with a clear tray that hoisted two thick purple greeting card-like menus. He gave them each a menu. While they ordered, Olumide gathered his thoughts about Yetunde's situation so he could explain it properly to Romola and make her understand the gravity of the situation.

After the waiter had left with their orders and the menu, he stared at the table aware that Romola was watching him.

"So, what's wrong with Yetunde?" She asked, after several minutes of silence.

"I think Yetunde is a drug addict."