32: Do you Remember?

"Hawk what?" Dami and Olumide spat simultaneously. Olumide released his hand from her skin.

"Bread. Agege bread. Now let me go," She struggled against Dami's hold before her face contorted in a mask of anger. "If you don't let me go, I'll scream."

"Do you know that you're in the hospital?" Dami said.

"Help! They're trying to kidnap me."

Olumide placed his palm over her lips while Dami held her in place. She bit Olumide's hand while the nurse raced into the room, glaring at both of them.

Her thick dark brows narrowed at Olumide "What is going on here?"

He released her and tended to his hurting hand while Dami looked to him for an explanation. They stared at each other, unable to decide who should speak first.

Romola squealed, "They want to kidnap me oh! Gbomogbomo."

"Really?"

"She woke up saying she wants to go and hawk bread." Olumide stated, biting his lips to relieve the pain of Romola's bite.

"Why would we want to kidnap her? We brought her here." Dami added.

"Both of you will have to leave this room. Right now." The nurse pointed at the door before turning to Romola with a caring look. She placed a hand on Romola's shoulder. "Dear. It's okay. You're in the hospital."

"I just want them to go away." Romola said.

The nurse turned to them. Olumide's gaze lingered on Romola before he left the room. He and Dami waited at another door and returned to the room as soon as the nurse left the room.

"Romola," Olumide called from the doorway. "We are not trying to kidnap you. Don't you remember me? Olumide?"

"Just go away." Romola buried her head in the pillow. "I don't have ransom money. Only Agege bread. Would you take that instead?'

"But you remember Yetunde right," Dami prompted. "My sister. Your bestfriend."

"Show her a picture!" Olumide nudged Dami.

Dami pulled out his phone from his pocket and glanced through his gallery. He revealed a screenshot of one of Romola and Yetunde's selfies. He brought the picture to her face but she refused to stare at it. She hid her face in her pillow, pleading with them to leave.

Olumide wished he had taken pictures of Romola on his phone. He wished he had taken a picture with her when she had been to Glass Court. How could she not remember who they were. Was this the problem Vicky mentioned?

The doctor returned, followed closely by the nurse. She pushed Olumide away from Romola's bed with a glare. "I thought I told you to leave."

Olumide ignored the nurse, charging to the doctor with a frown. "What's wrong with her? Why doesn't she remember me or him?"

"Calm down." The doctor held him away from Romola's bed while the nurse tried to drag him away. "Abigail leave him."

The nurse let Olumide go. He straightened his polo shirt while the doctor coaxed Romola into a sitting position. Romola peered at the doctor before she did as he asked. He placed a hand on her shoulder, "Do you know these people?"

She stared at Olumide and Dami before shaking her head.

"Do you know where you are?"

"The hospital"

"And today's date?"

"Fri...Friday? Maybe Saturday. I don't know the date."

"What about the month?"

Olumide settled into the chair while Dami leaned against the metal railing of one of the empty beds.

"I really don't know." Romola shook her head. 'I'm thirsty."

"Abigail, please get her some water." The doctor ordered. Abigail left the room, glaring at Olumide as she passed by him. The doctor continued. "How old are you?"

"I... I don't know?" Discomfort claimed Romola's face. "Why can't I remember?"

"Calm down. You'll remember better if you're calm. What is you name?"

"Romola. I think."

"Your full name?" Olumide demanded.

The doctor shook his head at Olumide but Romola replied, " I don't know. I just heard him saying Romola."

"Where are her parents?" The doctor asked both men

"Dami," Olumide prompted. He had ordered Dami to contact her parents.

"Oh right..." Dami produced Romola's phone from his back pocket and handed it to Olumide. "I forgot."

"I told you to call them." Olumide tossed the phone back to Dami.

The doctor leaned closer to Romola asking, in a gentle voice. "Can you tell me your parents names?"

Romola was silent. The tears were pooling in her eyes again as she shook her head.

"Is there anything you can remember at all?" Dami asked.

"Come on Romola. You told me your mother is an accountant and your father in an engineer. You have to remember something." Olumide said.

Romola looked at him like he had grown a second head, before turning to the doctor "Is that true?"

The doctor stood up and sighed. "We might have a little problem."

"Really? You think?" Olumide barked. "You said she would be fine. She-"

"Mide." Dami cut in "I called the number labeled mom on her phone. Twice. The network operator said this number does not exist."

Author's Note:

I just want to say a big thank you to all of you still reading this book and still voting and commenting. I kow it can be a struggle to stay on wattpad but these days but I really appreciate you taking time out to read this book. 

A special thank you to those who have been sharing and adding it to their reading list. Honestly, I see those of you adding it to your reading lists titles "Incomplete' and I'm working very hard to change that status. You motivate me to continue. 

I still can't promise steady updates (No data and no electric pole yet) but I can let you know that I am still writing even with these challanges. I just take longer to upload. Thank you for sticking with me. Love you.