27: The Confession

"Dude, did you stay awake all night?" Dami groaned, staring at him.

Olumide's eyes were sore. Several times during the night, he had almost dozed off but he fought his sleep, pacing the length of the waiting room before taking his seat. "I waited."

His sore throat captured his words and refused to let them go. This was the second time in his life that he had to spend the night at the hospital. The first time was with Muyiwa. Why did it always seem to be with the people he loved?

Loved? Was that what he would call what he felt for Romola? The giddiness, the invasion of his mind by thoughts of her or even the constant need to be by her side? Was that why he nearly died when the nurse from the public hospital said that there was no help. It couldn't be love. It was too fast. Maybe that was why his feelings were so intense and unbalancing. He had fallen in love with Romola and he had fallen fast.

"Well, how about we go home, get breakfast and change our clothes?" Dami got to his feet and stretched his bones.

"I'm not leaving until I'm sure she's fine." Olumide moved his buttocks and whimpered from the pain of sitting in one lace for too long.

"She's fine. She's in a good hospital and Vicky is here."

"I just want to wait for a few more hours."

He wanted to be there when she woke up. He wanted to be by her side and make sure that she stayed as far away from Yetunde as possible. He wanted so many things that were impossible at that moment.

"Mide?" Dami sat across him, looking into this eyes. "Why are you so concerned about her?"

"I... I feel like it is my fault that all of this happened."

"That's not what I mean. You barely know her but you seem more interested in her well being than me and she's my sister's best friend."

Olumide wondered if he should reveal his startling discovery to his friend. "I would do the same for anybody-"

"Tah. You won't cry for just anybody."

"i wasn't crying." Olumide didn't want to give Dami a reason to tease him. He didn't have the strength to put on a smile for Dami's sake.

Dami inched closer to him. "If you say so but you haven't answered my question."

Olumide raised his head. He sighed at the worry etched on Dami's face. Things would be easier if he just told the truth. He had found out the hard way. "She's a very nice person."

"You like her.' Dami cut in with a knowing smile.

Olumide didn't say a word but his lips quirked up a little. Sometimes, no words were needed between him and Dami. It often felt like they were one soul in two bodies.

"Yes!" Dami punched the air while Olumide scooted away. "I told Vicky. I knew you had an ulterior motive for going back to the flat."

"What are you talking about?'

"Vicky and I had a bet about which girl you liked. She thought it was Yetunde. I almost thought so too. You were practically groveling for reasons to get back to their flat but when you got Romola's number, you started acting weird. That's when I remembered that Yetunde isn't one of your favourite persons."

"You guys were betting on me?"

"It's not the first time." Dami leaned against the chair with a smile. "In fact, I'm going to start a bet on when you would get with Romola."

"But... How did you know that I liked her before I figured it out?" At least, now he didn't have to keep it a secret from Vicky or Dami.

"I just know when you're behaving strange. That's all." Dami chuckled. "Please, keep behaving strangely so that I can make Vicky bankrupt."

"Idiot. Instead of you to go and look for wife, you're here plotting on how to dupe Vicky." Olumide smiled.

"No oh. I won't have time. I'll be too busy being the guest of honour at you and Romola's wedding. She's even wife material. She's beautiful. She's responsible. She makes a lot of good food. She's perfect."

Dami's praise of Romola set Olumide on edge. He didn't want to believe that Dami also had feelings for Romola. "If so, why didn't you date her since?"

"Bro, she's mys sister's friend. That would be like dating my sister. I feel bad for whosoever dates Yetunde. I can't deal with two of her in my life. I have a looonngggg life ahead of me.'

"That's how I feel about Yetunde too." Olumide said, bringing up the topic of Yetunde's childhood crush on him. Dami deserved to know exactly how he felt about Yetunde.

"That's true. My sister likes you. I wonder how anyone can be stupid enough to like you?"

"They like me because I'm amazing." Olumide relaxed into the chair, yawning as he stared at Romola's room a few feet away.

"Amazing kor. Amazon ni." Dami hissed. "So what are you going to do about Romola?"

"I'll wait."

"For what? Her parents' permission?"

"For her to wake up."

"Then what?"

"Then nothing. Her waking up is the most important thing right now."

"You are a confirmed goat."

"When she wakes up, I'll think of something."

***

TARI SAYS:

Hey guys, 

I am so sorry for keeping you guys waiting with these chapters.  School has kept me buuusssyyyy. I have a lot to say but so little time. The key point is that I need you all to vote. I am several chapters ahead of the book already. Would you rather that I finish the book and upload at once or would you rather that I try to upload at least once every two weeks. Highest votes win.

TARI OUT