65: Romola's mother

"Olumide no."

Romola scrambled to her feet and tried to follow him outside. Yetunde's pinched her but she fought off her friend and hurried to the open space in the living room. More people had joined the party.

She caught up with Olumide, oblivious of the medley of stares she received from every corner of the room. He paused, shaking his head. What she feared had happened. He stared at her with a look much worse than the one Yetunde received at the hospital.

I promise you. I am not a prostitute."

"Can you just stop lying?"

"I don't remember everything but I don't think I am a prostitute."

"Alright." He folded his arms, shooting her a sardonic look. "What is your proof? How do you pay your bills?"

"I don't remember."

"Of course, you don't."

A little girl ran past them, screaming, "Sister Yetunde. Sister Yetunde."

Romola's eyes riveted to the girl's slender chocolate frame and. She watched the girl leap into Yetunde's arms and the pieces fell into place.

"I am not a prostitute-"

Her words were cut short by an unearthly scream She turned to the source; a thin weathered woman with lines of worry etched on a wrinkled face. The woman marched into the room and Romola's body began to quake. Their first contact was a slap to Romola's face.

"Moromola Ibikunle Grace. I regret the day wey I born you."

"Maami-"

"Don't."

Another slap had Romola stepping away and curling into herself.

"So, this is the school you came to study in? A man's house?"

The woman raised another hand but Olumide held the hand.

"Don't hit her like that."

Romola watched him stare down at her mother. The woman scrunched her face, freed her hand, untied her wrapper and knotted it around her waist. "Shey, you go teach me how to train my own daughter? Commot."

Olumide stood.

Romola straightened her back wiping away the tears that had poured down her cheek. She placed a shaky hand over her lips and tried to bury her sobs. This was not what she planned. She wanted to wait until after the party to tell him she had started remembering and then ask him to take her home so she could leave without all this embarrassment.

"Mide please, that's my mum." She whispered.

"No. Stay behind me."

"So, it's you, right?" Her mother yelled. "You are the one sleeping with this girl?"

"Let the woman take her daughter. We don't accept rats like this to gate crash."

Romola found the speaker, an older woman with smooth fair skin and a shimmery gold dress. eyeing her.

"Mum, I can handle this." Olumide insisted.

"When have you ever handled anything well?"

Yetunde stepped forward. "One moment you don't want her. The next you are defending her from her mother. I won't let you shame yourself."

Yetunde dashed behind him and pulled Romola away. Romola struggled to stay behind Olumide, clutching his arm. She would rather remain in the presence of his shimmering anger than to experience the accusatory stares of the crowd. Olumide didn't pull her back. He just stood, watching, like this was not his party and like his sister had not joined Yetunde to pull her away. Her hands slipped from his but not before her nails dug across his skin. They pushed her towards her mother's form and her mother didn't miss the opportunity to grab her ears and twist. Romola's scream pierced whatever sanity was left in her head,

"Get the gate-man to throw them out." His mother spat. "I can't believe you would invite such unruly things to our house?"

"Our house?" Olumide glared at his mother. "I built this house. I can invite whosoever I want."

"And you invited a whore."

"Don't worry aunt." Yetunde shot Romola a malicious glare. "I'll make sure girls like this don't even dream of coming close to Olumide."

"You, madam." Romola's mother fixated a fiery stare on Olumide's mother. "We are not rats. Osi ko jẹ ki ẹnikẹni kere si ọkunrin."

*Poverty does not make a man any less than a man.*

"Get them out my sight!" Olumide's mother screamed.

"You ehn," Romola's mother blessed her with a hot slap on her back. "We'll finish this at home."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

What do you think will happen to Romola when she gets home?

Don't forget to comment, vote &share.