59: Kitchen Kiss

"Ours?"

"Yes. Ours. This house is important to me and you are too. I believe the two most important things in my life should be in the same place."

"I don't understand." She stepped away, her head sweeping left and her eyes taking in the rest of the kitchen.

He closed the gap between them. "I want us to have a serious relationship. I want to be a a big part of your future because you already play a huge part in mine."

Romola's lips parted. Her eyes stretched past her sockets. "Is this like a proposal?"

"Do you want it to be a proposal?"

She shook her head. Nodded, then shook it again.

"Don't worry. A proposal will come at the right time. For now, I am more than content with having you as my girlfriend."

"You want me to... be...to be your girlfriend?"

"You do want to be my girlfriend right?" His smile waned.

She locked her hands around his neck. "Of course, I do. I might not remember everything but I don't want to have a future where you are not there."

His lips spread in a smile as he stared at her. Her rosy lips were parted in a bright smile. He drew closer but her lips met his first. The distance between them vanished as body parts met and hands explored.

Her hands wound around his neck but he pulled away slightly, caressing her cheeks. "I can't believe I almost lost a chance with you."

"I'm here now." Her hands worked at the buttons on his shirt, slightly shifting it towards his shoulders.

His lips travelled from her cheeks towards her lips and he hovered over her lower lips willing to capture it between his teeth as he shrugged off his shirt and let it fall to the floor.

"Olumide." He heard his sister's voice- terse and sharp. Her flowery perfume filled the room.

"What?!" He turned to her.

"The designer is outside. Have you made your choice?"

"Yes, I would like red as the accent colour on a black and white scheme."

His sister's eyes strayed to his shirt on the floor and then to his bare chest. Her eyes slid to Romola then back to him. Her disapproval marked clearly by her pursed lips. "I thought you liked blue?"

"I like red too. Why are you here? You could've waited for us outside."

"I called. You didn't answer."

Olumide linked his hands with Romola's. "Well, you've gotten your answer."

"I want to talk to you."

"What about?"

"Alone." She glared at Romola.

Olumide reached into his pocket pulled out his keys, swiped his shirt off the floor and pressed them into Romola's hand. "Wait for me in the car. Okay?"

Romola walked out of the room, taking a large curve on her way to the door to avoid his sister's path. He didn't like the fact that she had to avoid his sister's scrutiny.

He spoke first. "Why can't you be nice?"

"Why can't you be sensible? I don't like that girl one bit."

"I'm the one in the relationship. Not you."

"Mom and dad won't like her too. You know they want you to marry Victoria."

"Vicky and I are just friends."

"Every marriage can start from friendship." She folded her arms over her protruding belly. Sweet beads rested above her forehead. He hated to see her standing so long but he hadn't asked her to intrude in his business. "Look at my case."

"It's not like you choose him."

She shifted her weight to another feet, her purple shift dress brushing against her knees. "It doesn't matter."

"I'll marry the person I want. And that's Romola."

"What do you even know about this girl? Where did you find her?"

"That's not your business Ajoke."

"Do you want to end up like Muyi. "That girl doesn't have the class that our family needs?"

Olumide felt blood rushing towards his ears. "What does she have to do with Muyi's death?"

"Don't you know why Muyi started smoking. He met someone like her. For the life of me," His sister clapped her hands, "I can't understand what you people find appealing in women like that."

Olumide met his sister's eye squarely. His grandparents told him that staring into an older person's eyes was disrespectful in their culture but he didn't care. "And just look at what your life has become. The obedient one. I'm sure your husband is somewhere banging some chic in his office."

His sister marched towards him, her hands raised. He caught her hand and tossed it. Her hand was thinner than he remembered.

"Olumide," She screamed. "You held my hand?"

"Yes. Do you think I would stand there and let you slap me? I'm not fourteen anymore."

His sister eyed him. "Don't talk about Tomiwa like that."

"But it's true, isn't it? I won't let them destroy my life like they did yours."