8: The Ride Home

"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true."
--Winston Churchill

“I guess you’re taking her back to the flat

“I guess you’re taking her back to the flat. Let me give you the keys.” Romola held the door's handle but he clutched her wrist, shaking his head. Under the full glare of the star blanketed night and aided by the lights from the club, she could see his lips pressed into a firm frown.

“I’m taking her home."

“Oh...” Romola didn’t know what else to say but she was sure that Yetunde would not want to see her parents or her brother in this state.

“Let me drop you off at the hostel,” He offered, reaching for her carry all bag. She pulled it away from his hands.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to the flat. I’m going to my parents house.”

“This night? Alone?”

“l’ll get an Uber ride home.”

“I’m not comfortable with that idea.”

“I’ve been doing this for about four months now.” She replied. He dropped his head and locked his eyes with hers before his lips broke into a grin. Why was he grinning? Had she said something funny?

“I just want to make sure that you get to wherever you’re going safely. I waited all night for this and if you don’t trust me- "

She cut in. “It’s not that I don’t trust you. I mean, you’re Yetunde’s brother’s bestfriend.  You’re practically part of her family but..."

“But?”

“But..." She searched for a reasonable excuse. She needed one that wouldn’t reveal the fact that she was afraid to stay with Olumide because of how she felt around him.

She felt comfortable but anxious. She didn’t mind the anxiety. It was the comfortability she disliked. She was too comfortable and giddy around her best friend's crush. “I wouldn't want to stress you. You might not be going my way.”

“What way is that?”

“Erm, Alaka, at Surulere.” She called the name of a place that could still fit in with the personality that Yetunde knew but that wasn’t too far from where she actually lived.

“Funny enough, I would drive by that place.”
“Yetunde’s house is in Ikeja. There is no way you would pass by Alaka."

Romola knew her way around Lagos. Thanks to the job that she did. She knew exactly where to get the best customers and at what time they would be in their respective places. She also knew that the way to Yetunde’s house was opposite that route.

“My house is on the way past Surulere. And Dami is spending the night at my house. So, the least I can do is drop you at your street. Don’t say no, Romola,” He urged, opening the passenger door of the Range Rover.

She sucked in a breath before she entered the car. Mostly because it would be out of the character, that Yetunde knew her for, to refuse a ride from Olumide. He shut the door and went round the car to his own seat.

“Yetunde,” She wispher yelled, wishing to ask Yetunde how she was doing and inform her of Olumide's intention to take her to her parents.

When she received no answer, she turned back and stared at Yetunde. Yetunde’s chest rose and dropped easily with deep breaths. Yetunde was already fast asleep.

Romola reached for the door handle, unsure if she could handle the tsunami of butterflies that crashed on her stomach walls that came from being in the same territory as Olumide.

The subject of her discomfort got into the driver’s seat and buckled his seat belt just like she did then started the car. He kept his eyes on the road, pulling the car out of the car park.

"So, how was the party and the celebrant?"

"What celebrant?" Romola raised a brow wondering what was Olumide asking about. Then she remembered that Yetunde had told him they were attending a party.

She knew that she had just undone Yetunde's lie but she tried to save their face. "Oh, the party was great. The celebrant was happy. Very happy."

"Be honest with me, please." Olumide's stern look fell to her face briefly before returning to the road. She glanced at Yetunde then him before sighing. The rouse was up.

"It wasn't a party."

Olumide was quiet after that. She expected him to say something. She expected him to be angry that Yetunde had lied to him. She felt guilty for being a party to a lie but it wasn't her fault. She had been lied to and she hadn't known until she had arrived at the club and found no party. She couldn't tell what Olumide was thinking but his face was as emotionless as his silence was soundless.

They were almost at Alaka before he spoke. "What's the way to your street?"

She pointed at a random street and he took the path there. She made him stop in front of the street because if he did speak to the security guard, her lie would be uncovered. She made to open the door but found that it was locked.

"Olumide," She called. His head snapped in her direction. His eyes were bright but his face was still without feelings. "The doors. They're locked."

"Oh right," He said, unlocking the car door from the master lock but he held her arm just before she could reach for the door handle.

"Can I get your number?"

"What for?" She raised a brow, eyeing him and hoping he wasn't making a move on her.

"I would like to call you. To see you again."

"Like a date?" She spilled the thought on her mind.

"No. It's about," Olumide glanced at Yetunde before speaking. "Yetunde. It's very important and I need to speak to you alone."

"Oh." Of course, it would be about Yetunde. She mentally slapped herself for thinking that Olumide would be interested in her.

"Okay." She called out her number to him and he stored it on his iPhone. "What day can we meet?"

"What day are you free?"

"Tuesday by 12. I'll be at my department. Accounting and Finance department." She said.

He locked his gaze with hers.  "Okay. I'll call you. It's very important that you know about this before its too late."