14: Memory Lane

“The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living."
--Cicero

She searched her head for a topic that would interest both of them and keep him talking. Her knowledge on him was limited to the snippets that Yetunde dropped periodically. Although Yetunde loved to talk, she could talk one topic to death. This was the reason that all Romola knew about the Adonis, who still held her waist, was that he loved coffee, played basketball, and spent a lot of time outside Nigeria.

He led her to the Range Rover. He opened the passenger door and allowed her to take a seat before reaching across and strapping the seat belt across her body. His fingers briefly brushed her laps and her skin tightened as a thrilling wave of shock pulsed through her body. He stared at her with a Cheshire grin, as though he knew the effect he had on her.

She kept her gaze locked to his slender body while he closed the door, walked around the car, and took his seat beside her. His smile was etched on his face and she found her lips greeting his with a similar smile.

“Did you enjoy Glass Court?” He asked, strapping his seat belt across his chest. She tried not to dwell on how snug the seat belt was against his solid chest.

“Glass Court?" She stared at the restaurant, finally noticing the LED display board that read ‘Glass Court' in bold print above the marble arch. “That's the name of this place?"

“Yes."

“I really enjoyed the dinner. Thank you.”

“You're welcome."

“Well,” She began as he started the car engine. She refused to allow the return journey to replicate the tension filled time they had spent together on the way here. The loud music -if anything- had added to the tension rather than alleviate it.  “Have you been to glass court before?"

“Yes. When my family still lived in Nigeria, we used to come here every Wednesday nights and on special occasions like birthdays, wedding anniversaries, graduations. Stuffs like that."

“I'm guessing Yetunde has been here before."

Romola couldn't explain why the thought of Yetunde eating in glass court irritated her. It was supposed to be that way. Yetunde's family was and would always be richer than hers. They could afford to eat in such opulent places but she had to be contended with mama put. It couldn't satisfy her though. Not when  she had already tasted things that her parents could never afford.

“She and Dami used to come along with me. I think you're the first non-family member I'm dining with."

The car began to move but she waited till the restaurant was far behind them before she pointed out his error. “But Yetunde and Dami -"

“Dami is like my twin brother. Hence, Yetunde is my -"

“Sister?" She asked. A part of her leapt for joy at the news but she thought of Yetunde and the birth of a smile halted. 

Did Olumide really see Yetunde as his sister? She added quickly, “Don't you think it is ironic to call her small rat. She's older now and technically she is a woman. A very beautiful and mature woman."

Olumide was silent. She watched his side profile while her heart protested against the words she had said in praise of Yetunde. She wondered what Olumide was thinking because his eyes remained focused on the long stretch of black tar that had broken white lines in its middle. The only indication that he had heard her words was the smile that faded into oblivion and the tight jaw that took its place.

“I don't know about that." The cheer in his voice was gone. “Drinking, smoking and doing drugs are not signs of maturity. Oversees, I know of twelve year olds who do drugs.  Here in Nigeria, even in shitta, some children do drugs. Anyone could do those things?"

Romola's reply married an acerbic tone but she doubted herself because she couldn't think of a single moment when Yetunde wasn't behaving like she had lost a mental nut. “That's not all there is to Yetunde, you know,"

“I know Yetunde is capable of wonderful things. She can do anything she sets her mind to if she focuses on it.  No one can stop her when she is determined but," Olumide's flat tone faded into a somber tone. “That's why I'm afraid. If she is addicted -"

Romola cut in with a frown, placing her palm on his arm. His crestfallen look pricked her heart. She wished for his sake that the accusation against Yetunde was false. It was obvious that he cared for Yetunde a lot. She had to change the topic if she wanted him to smile but he kept speaking.

“You don't know how it feels to watch Yetunde go down this path. Especially, when she knows what happened to -" He stopped abruptly, tightening his fingers around the steering wheel.

“What happened to who?"

“It doesn't matter. The fact is that I don't want Yetunde to ruin her life. I love her too much."

Romola's hand slipped off his arm and her pupil's dilated as an imaginary knife seared her heart. She whispered to herself, “You love her."

“Yes. I love her the way I love my older sister." Olumide's stated, staring at Romola. “And about what happened to who, it was my brother."

He glanced at her face as her eyes rose to meet his. Their eyes locked for a few seconds and he looked away, focusing on the road with a blank face but she had seen the raw pain buried underneath anger swirling in the amber of his eyes.

“Your brother... Used to take drugs?" She struggled to imagine that perfect Olumide had to deal  with someone who took drugs. It didn't fit into the image that Yetunde had painted of Olumide.

“My father found out too late. Dad took Muyi to rehab several times but my brother was completely hooked. It was a terrible experience for the family. Dad was always angry.

“Mum was always at Muyi's side. It was like Jummy and I didn't exist anymore. Our family wasn't a family. It was just Dad, mom and Muyi. It was worse for Muyi. He dropped out of school and became an addicted couch potato."

Romola opened her mouth and shut it severally, searching for a word to say. The way he passionately spoke about his brother scared but intrigued her. His worry about Yetunde doing drugs became clear to her now. She whispered her words, afraid to add to Olumide's burden. “What happened to him? Did he get better?"

“He's dead. He overdosed."

Romola's jaw dropped. A thick silence filled the car and each occupant was to their own thoughts. Romola wished to turn back the hands of time so she could stop this conversation from happening. She missed the smiling Olumide. “I'm so sorry."

His jaw twitched and his knuckles jutted out as he wrapped his fingers around the steering wheel so much that Romola could barely tell where Olumide ended and wheel began. “It fine. You weren't there. You couldn't have saved him. I couldn't have. No one could."

“I mean, I'm sorry I brought it up."

Olumide's tone was void of emotion. “I wanted to talk about it. I want you to understand why I'm worried about  Yetunde. I can't lose another person I love. It would kill me."

“Can we please talk about something else?"

“Sure." He paused, relaxing his clenched palms. She noticed that the car speed seemed to slow down too and she realised that he had been over spending for a while.  “Tell me about yourself. About your family."

🌸🌸🌸🌸

Tari says:

Please vote, comment (I want to know what you think) and share.
Thank you.