37: Stay With Me

Romola spoke first. "That's not what Vicky told me. You didn't have the right to do that to me or anyone. What if I had died? What would you have done?"

"Well, you didn't die. Please forgive me Romola."

Romola's eyes strolled from her friend to the white wall. Yetunde's sharp flowery scent was a beautiful contrast to the acrid antiseptic odour. It was a welcome scent but she didn't want to welcome Yetunde into her heart. Did she want to forgive someone when the only memory she had of the person was pain?

"It's okay," Romola kept her voice even, unwilling to reveal her distaste for Yetunde.

"So you forgive me?" Yetunde's face brightened and she spread out her hand for a hug.

Utter dislike filled Romola as she hugged the girl who had drugged her. The girl who now stared at Olumide like he was the spring of life.

"Yes, I forgive you." Those words were her declaration that she would be wary around Yetunde. She would avoid her at all times if possible.

"Great." Yetunde beamed, pulling away. "When are you coming home?"

"Home?" Romola narrowed her brow. Did she live with this witch?

"To the flat. I missed you so much."

"What flat?" Romola faced Olumide.

"She means the flat that both of you share. The one you rented, just a few streets away from the university."

"Oh," Distress wrapped her cold fingers around Romola's face. So she did live with the witch.

"She knows where it it." Yetunde poked her arm. "When you come home, we'll go the club to celebrate."

"No more clubbing for you or Romola. In fact, I'll be taking Romola home with me for a few days. Just to ensure that she gets better under watchful care."

"She's my friend. I'm in a better condition to take care of her." Yetunde shot back.

Olumide rose to his full height and stared down at Yetunde. "You? You ought to spend your weekends at the therapists. What if something happens to Romola when you're not home."

"Nothing will happen to her. She can take care of herself."

"Both of you, Please!" Romola whispered. A pounding sound began to echo in the back of her head.

Yetunde raised her voice. "She should go with you? She barely knows you."

"She should go with me because she trusts me." Olumide's voice rose to match Yetunde's tone.

Yetunde yelled. "Trust you. Since when? She trust me more than she does anyone else in the world."

"I don't think she still considers you her friend."

"Why are we arguing about this when we can just ask her." Yetunde's head snapped to Romola's direction.

Romola lay, writhing on the bed and gripping the bed sheets. She groaned, chewing her lips as her other hand cradled her head.

"Romola," She heard Olumide's voice from outside her pain but he sounded so far away. His voice barely cut through the images flashing in her head. The images left pain in their wake. Pain that sucked the strength from her muscles she shut her eyes and tried to concentrate on Olumide's caring voice but her brain defiled the order, seeming to press against her skull.

"Now you see what you've done." Shrill and Sharp, Yetunde's words were as self absorbing as she had come to know it.

"Me? You're the one who ran into this place like a mad woman. It's your fault that she's here."

"I told you she would be fine and she is!"

"Stopeet!" Romola screamed, even though the action felt like a hot rod was pierced in the center of her head. She sprang up like a cobra, pointing to the door with her index finger. Tears streamed down her face and suppressed tears produced quivers in her body.

"We are sorry. We were just." Yetunde had the grace to look remorseful.

"No. Just get out. Please!"

Yetunde rose from the bed and turned towards the door.

Olumide leaned towards Romola and took her in his arms, whispering as his weight sank into one end of the bed. "I'm sorry. We should not be arguing."

Yetunde called from the door, "Mide, won't you leave?"

Olumide placed a feet on the floor and Romola could feel his warmth leaving her. She reached out, clutching his upper arm "Olumide it hurts."

"What hurts?" he asked.

The only evidence of Yetunde's absence was the door slamming into the door post. Romola listened as the sound faded. The noise was gone and Yetunde was gone. Olumide could stay now that he was calmer. She squeezed herself into his chest, hoping the steady rhythm of his heart could soothe her pain.

"My head hurts."

"You'll be fine. I promise." he sealed his words with the lightest of kisses on her forehead.

She felt him lay her against the bed, then move the pillow so that her head was resting on it. Then his body drew away. She reached out to him and held his wrist. Desperation broke her voice. "Stay with me. Please."

"Are you sure? You need to rest."

"Please," She pulled him closer.

She felt the bed dip as he scooted over. She gave him space and he took the space, filling the bed with his warmth, with his scent and his body. He made her face the other side then placed his hand around her waist before closing the distance between them so that they were chest to back.

In his arms, she found peace.