3: Bitter Pill

"Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears."
--Rudyard Kipling.

“I could just die right now,” Romola announced to no one in particular as she opened the door to the flat she shared with Yetunde.

Yetunde was swinging her hips, dancing to Davido’s tunes. Romola wasn’t surprised that Yetunde failed to lock the apartment door. If it wasn’t that the area the flat was located in was secured, she would worry for Yetunde’s safety.

She knew better than to disturb Yetunde while she was dancing to Davido’s songs so she locked the door, walked to her room and tossed her wig on the bed. Her bones were ready to melt after her Saturday to Sunday job routine.

It was the same thing every weekend and she was getting tired of it. She didn’t know how much she could keep take but it wasn’t like she could just quit and take up another job. It was getting harder to keep the secret from Yetunde.

Her legs ached, her arms were sore. Her head was pounding and her body was burning from hours of standing under the sun. Even the bath she had taken after she had finished her work did not help.

Today, she had missed all of Monday’s morning class because she had been unable to finish her quota of the job on time.  All because she had partied with Yetunde past 12 on Friday night. That was the last time she would party so late with Yetunde.

She knew that if she allowed herself to drift into the languid state currently seducing her eyes, without taking some water or a meal, she would regret it. She forced herself to sit up even though her back ached. It was all part of the job.

She dug into her carry all bag and pulled out the Paracetamol that she had bought from the small chemist store on her street. How many pills did the man behind the counter say she had to take? She couldn’t remember but two ought to do- she always took two after each round of her job.

She needed water. She struggled to her feet even though her bones were weak enough to give way for her descent to the floor. She hid the drugs in her palms, fearing that Yetunde would see them.

She was not wealthy enough to visit a certified pharmacy and buy bottled ibuprofen. Aboliki balm would soothe her aches but she had to wait until night time when Yetunde would be fast asleep and couldn’t feel the heat of the balm.

Yetunde could not know that she was not as rich as she feigned. The door opened with a creak and she stepped out meeting Yetunde’s large alarmed eyes.

Yetunde removed her earpiece from her ears and asked, “When did you get back?”

“Just now. While you were dancing,” Romola would’ve smiled if the action didn’t hurt her cheeks.

“I’ve been waiting for you all morning!” Yetunde grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards the wooden dining table.

Romola bit her lips to step herself from complaining. As far as Yetunde knew, she’d gone to rest in her parent’s house so she shouldn’t be complaining of body aches.

‘What is it?”

“I would have told you if you had picked up the phone.”  Yetunde answered. 

Romola feigned a smile this time. She couldn’t take her Samsung phone home. Her mother could not find out how she got her phone just like how her best friend could not find out how she made her money.

“Shey. I’ve told you not to call me when I’m not at home. You won’t listen. My mother made sure I turned off my phone throughout the time I was home,” Romola lied. Yetunde bought the lie the way it came and moved on to the object of her excitement.

“Guess what.’

“I’m thirsty. There I guessed,”

“Romola, I’m serious. I…” Yetunde whined before she left for her room.

Romola used that chance to go to the kitchen and get a bottle of water. She opened her mouth and swallowed the pill, pushing it down with water; she barely tasted for dread of tasting the bitterness of pill.

“Romola oh!”  Yetunde yelled. Romola rushed back to the living room even though her hurried pace made her dizzy.

“Tell me why you want the whole world to know my name.” She dropped the bottled water on the table and sat in the chair, staring at the beautiful blue box on the table, "Are you travelling?”

“Travelling? When our stupid lecturers can give us a test anytime, I can’t take that risk oh. These are things that Olumide brought for me from the states. He said you could have some of them.”

“Aww, thanks bestie.” Romola placed her hand on her chest even though all she wanted to do was drink more water and then collapse on her mattress. She watched Romola lay some petty dresses in front of  her along with some jewellery.

“Don’t thank me oh. Left to me, with all these fine things I wouldn’t even remember your name but he was specific about what I should give to you. He has good eyes but he didn’t buy the brands I like. Nonetheless, he’ll be a good boyfriend,” Yetunde chattered on but Romola wondered why Olumide had specifically left some things for her. Especially when he barely knew her.

Yetunde continued to speak, oblivious to her friend’s worry.  “At least, you finally have good clothes that can match mine. Not those things you used  to wear. Honestly, Romola, your mom’s tailor is not as good as she thinks.”

Yetunde blabbed on and on about the expensive wears she owned while Romola said nothing but she took a sip of the bland warm water realizing that she shouldn’t expect much from life.