4.14 Phantom Of The Opera

Cold seeped under my skin and into my bones

Cold seeped under my skin and into my bones. It was like glass was put over the world and I stared glazed over the near-empty opera house, aside from a few old people it was just my classmates.

"Hey, you okay?" Peter's face pinched in concern, his hand on my arm.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I looked at his chocolate brown eyes and familiar face. With as much apathy as possible, I said. "You have a mission to get to." He nodded and let go of my arm. Before he could leave, I hugged him, tightly. Inhaling his sweet cologne, I felt so small. "Don't fuck it up."

"I'll try not to." He squeezed my waist.

We both pulled away and his eyes focused on something behind me. I turned around to see Ned shift from flailing about and smiling to being very interested in a wall.

Peter forced a smile. "See you after it's over."

A bitter taste stung my tongue. "I'll save a seat for you."

I watched as he walked away, a mix of worry and a mix of admiration. The white button-up and black slacks were perfectly fitted on him... like perfectly.

"Could you at least try to be subtle?" A voice asked with contempt.

Jonathan wore a tired expression and an overtly expensive suit. Curled and gelled to a smooth shine, his hair was something of envy.

"Here I was hoping you became mute." I crossed my arms, matching his expression. "What are you talking about?"

He cocked his head to one side and made a scoffing laugh. "You're an idiot."

"I got us the glasses." Flash came up around Jonathan's elbow with the stupidly overpriced glasses that I couldn't understand why we needed since we were basically front row and there was absolutely nothing in opera that needed to be seen up close.

A bright smile landed on Jonathan's lips and he patted his friend's back. "Save me a spot."

Flash nodded and continued on his trek to the front with Jonathan's gaze still on him. I know everyone has their type, but seriously? Flash? Once he finally tore his attention off of him, I tilted my head to the side. "Could you at least try to be subtle?"

"Could you at least try to be subtle?" He mocked in a higher pitch voice.

"Could you at least try to be subtle?" I returned to the tone and he mimicked it. As we walked to the front seats I muttered. "Trust fund prick."

"Well-fare bitch." He whispered back, leaving to go take a seat next to Flash.

I plopped down next to MJ and she furrowed her brows. "What was that about?"

"Jonathan is just being an asshole." I shrugged, then glanced at her outfit. It was flowery, form-fitting, but a little old-looking. Her curly frizzy tresses were pinned in a half up and half down. "Nice dress."