4.23 Resurrection

"Come on

"Come on." Alex urged, a tense pitch in his voice. Leaning forward, we focused on the cars as we flashed across the screen. Explosions burst behind him, but he zipped out of the way. I had already been knocked back three places, but he held first with his teeth grit. Then suddenly, a warning red shell flashed behind him, and in less than a second he was smashed out of his cart, and Toadette stole first place. A laugh escaped my throat as he tossed his remote to his lap once he passed the finish line locked into second place. Shaking his head, he slouched into his living room couch and flicked his hand up. "This game is stupid."

"Agreed," I mumbled, barely sliding into sixth place.

"Got time for another game?"

"No, I'm meeting Peter at the park," I replied, setting down the remote on the coffee table.

"So, you and Peter..." Alex awkwardly bounced his head then pressed his lips together. "Your first boyfriend and first kiss all in one month; life's a regular teen movie."

"Yeah." I lied, not feeling particularly good about it, but not willing enough to correct it. Despite, Brad being kind of a dick, I liked the idea of him being my first kiss. It felt right.

Drumming his fingers on his thigh, he uncomfortably tried to seem casual as he shrugged. "Did anything happen on the trip... like that I should know about?"

"Happy already explained everything." I slightly smiled, and he matched it on a smaller scale. Because I hadn't spoken to him since the Alps, when I had gotten back Happy had already spilled the information down the grapevine. There were minor details that he might have missed, like the horrific holograph trauma experience, but Alex didn't need to know that. Gently, I hit his leg and threw my bag over my shoulder. "Hey, see you tomorrow."

"Later." He lifted two fingers for a wave, and I planted a sloppy kiss on his cheek as I passed him. "Ew." Nose scrunched, he wiped it off. "You're disgusting."

"You too," I replied in the most endearing tone possible before taking off down the hall.

***

Grease and perfectly cooked meat swirled around my taste buds as I relished in the flavor. I didn't even mind most of our kisses would taste like onion and cilantro because what I ate was heaven. Legs kicked off a low building, Peter and I sat side by side in our updated suits. It was around three in the afternoon, and normally, I'd be in the middle of a shift, but Delmar was worried about the "trauma" from my "near-death experience" in Europe and wanted to give me a break. Little did he know, I was spending more time having near-death experiences as Voltage.

After taking the final bit of my taco, I took a big swig from my Pepsi and glanced around at the citizens below us. Then I felt Peter's gaze on my face, I turned to him, and he had a content expression on his face, a little too happy. "What?" Wiping the back of my hand on my cheek, I asked. "Do I have something on my face?"