4.02 Steve's Crazy Ex-Boyfriend

Delmar's fan hummed to the side of me. I brushed a hair that had fallen in my face away. It was almost the end of my shift. In terms of part-time job options, this was a pretty good gig. Aside from the fact I smelt like salami by the end of my shift, Delmar paid well and didn't mind me working on homework between breaks(he's got this thing about education).

"Have a nice day." I smiled at the blue-haired woman across from me, and she returned it politely. Being a good liar sat well with customer service, apparently.

Sparing a glance at the TV Delmar kept in the corner of the deli, I felt my stomach twist at the sight of the new biographical movie for Steve Rogers. Swallowing, I forced my attention downward. It's been over six months; I should have been over it by now.

A pack of cinnamon gum was set on the counter in front of me, and I quickly punched the proper keys on the cash register. "Cash or credit."

A five-dollar bill was held up next to it, and I grabbed it. But the person didn't let go, and my gaze snapped up to bright blue eyes.

"Why are you dodging Sam's calls?" Bucky Barnes asked, looking much different from when I last saw him. Stubble coated his square jaw and cheeks. His hair was shorter, closer to what he had when he first joined the war. Despite that, he looked nothing like I've ever seen him.

I clenched my jaw. "Let go."

"Answer the question." He pressed, still holding the dollar.

Very pointedly, I move my eyes to the only thing stopping me from smacking him in the face. He follows my gaze to the security cameras Delmar installed. Then, calmly, I said, "Pay or get out."

He stared at me intently and for much too long to be normal.

Then he let go of the bill.

I got his change and prepared to hand it to him when he took the pack of gum and grumbled, "Keep it."

Half an hour later, I waved goodbye to Mr. Delmar as he chuckles near the cash register. Stinking of meat and sweat(gross), I didn't even turn when Bucky started walking next to me. Instead, I move us to the nearest alley and park my behind next to a dumpster. "Nice break-up hair cut."

The tall man looked at me disapprovingly. "Sam's been trying to get a hold of you."

I shrugged, holding my ribs. "I've been busy."

"Yeah, you seemed like it." He snorted, referring to the fact the place was near empty around this time. "It's been three days."

"Can we just skip to the point? I've got homework."

"It's spring break."

"Then I've got laundry."

Annoyance flashed across his face, and he looked at me with contempt. "Just pick up the damn phone next time."