4.06 Airplane Mode

On a scale of one to the most illegal thing I have ever accomplished, Constance Tran was a solid seven

Post-second blip was a rough time; it was filled with the ruin and destruction of nations and international bonds formed. The world had whiplash dealing with the wave of old citizens overflowing their streets and beds. Economic catastrophe and onion shortages were wrecking places all across the world.

However, that was not what was important eleven months ago.

A little Vietnamese girl sitting four cots away from Peter's family with a bright blue cast was. She was huddled with her two sisters with a playful grin I was familiar with. It was actually genius.

Since records and files were in chaos, no one would notice one family displaced with hard to contact parents. All you needed to do was prove you blipped and lost all forms of identification. Of course, once they found out that even before Carly- or Constance blipped she had dropped out of school and prostituted to pay her younger sister's bills she would have lost all rights she had to the checks and houses they were gonna give her, even then it would take a couple of months to figure it out... that was if they did.

When the time rolled around where they would realize that Constance had nothing more than a middle school education and some shady tax records, they found an old transcript from Mid-Town High with a 3.3 GPA and house payments for a place that had been taken down after the first blip.

Of course, while I couldn't tell her that she would be going to a nerd school in Queens, Voltage explained everything perfectly to a T, so the story would be well done.

Constance had a little trouble getting into the new fits, and her humor was more knowledge than usual for people who spent more time with robots than they did around street corners. But she seemed eager, she joined the art club, cooking club, volunteering, and jumped at the opportunity to be on the science trip.

The long haired girl slouched with her hand-painted faux leather across her back and playing on her phone. Aside from a few conversations, we had barely spoken when I wasn't in full gear and I kept it that way. Our class stood in a clump at the airport, waiting to board the plane. 

Head rested on my hand, I forced my attention away from Constance to look at Peter. He was whispering something to Ned and I settled deeper in my seat. If Alex was here, I could have shady conversations too.

I looked at my phone again, to read over our last messages.

Idiot: what if I just didn't go?

Alex the Asshole: You already paid like a hundred bucks, I will personally dump your body over the Atlantic for that price. ;)

"Are you alright there, Charlie?" Mr. Harrington asked, leaning over his seat.

"What?" I blinked and yawned. "Yeah, sorry. Mr. Harrington, I just spaced out."

"Happens all the time." A smile went on Harrington's pale face as he adjusting his white newsboy hat. Apparently, the international side of Harrington liked looking like a weird fisherman with three jackets and lots of pockets. "Happens to me way too often, sometimes when I'm driving. Gives me a heart attack, must give the pedestrians one too." A little joking laugh left his mouth with forced me to make a polite half-smile, then he seemed to realize who he was talking to and stopped. "Not that I ever hit them."