4.10 Boring Business Meetings

In a baggy black hoodie and leggings, I stuffed my hands in my front pockets, trying to hide the shame in my face

In a baggy black hoodie and leggings, I stuffed my hands in my front pockets, trying to hide the shame in my face. Standing on the back of a fancy boat thing, I crossed my arms and tugged down the bottom of a thin black scarf wrapped around my face. And here, I thought I was over this phase of my vigilante career.

Mentally, I marked the streets we passed by, unsure where Nick was taking us to. All of them were empty, and I wondered if there was a curfew I didn't know about or if people just liked sleeping here.

Compact blade twirling my fingers, I noted the gun strapped to Nick Fury's ankle. He made no reach for it and had no care about anything aside from leisurely steering the boat.

Spider-Man stood uncomfortably next to Nick, his anxiety shooting through the roof.

"Stark left these for you," Nick said suddenly and passed Peter a brown leather glasses case.

"Really?" Peter questioned, taking it in his hands. I leaned forward slightly as Peter flicked it open. Inside were a familiar pair of glasses. Memories bubbled in my chest as I remember mocking those mercilessly.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." He quoted, then glanced at Peter. "Stark said you wouldn't get that because it's not a Star Wars reference."

A smile too painful to form stayed behind my face. I looked to the water gliding past us, trying to stay focused on the breeze around my neck.

"He left something for you too, Frankie." Nick's voice snapped my attention to him, and I felt Peter's gaze on me. Staring at him for a moment, I quickly snatched the box out of his grip.

Gently, Peter elbowed my side. "Frankie?"

"Tell you later," I whispered but hoped he'd forget about it.

The leather of the small box was cold on my fingers, and a weight crushed my lungs. A flash of his laugh rang in my ears, and the bright white of snap curled in my mind.

I hardly knew him.

Taking a deep breath, I tucked the box in my hoodie pocket and straightened out my shoulders. Peter met my eyes, and I forced a casual tone. "I'll open it later."

***

"You can lose the masks. Everyone here has seen you without them. You'd only be feigning anonymity and breathing through spandex for no good reason." Nick Fury stated as we entered through an underground secret lair type thing(which would have been much cooler if it wasn't next to the key-chain shop), and it took restraint to not mockingly repeat the words.

Begrudgingly unwrapping the bottom of my face as Peter yanked off his mask, I scanned over the place's stone walls. There were a few people there and quite a bit more tech than I expected.