4.03 Dumb and Dumber

"Told you to wait." Bucky Barnes lectured under his breath as his fingers gently touched my nose. Ambulance and medics were circled a few feet away but I barely wanted Bucky grabbing at my face, much less some random person, who would know what my real identity looked like. Because I'm about a head shorter than him, I sat on the hood of an SUV(that I really wanted to key for some reason) with my head tilted towards the light.

It was biting cold and way past midnight. The Flag Smashers were either dead or apprehended, and the mission was done.

A strike of pain rippled up my nose. "Ow."

"Sorry," He inspected for a second longer, then took a step back. "It's not broken, it'll be alright in a few days."

I grabbed the bloodied rag that Bucky had gotten from a medic. Blood dripped down my lip, and I dabbed it away. At least I didn't get shot... or killed. There seemed to be a lot of both of those happening, nothing like a corpse to dry up a party.

In white, red, and blue gear Sam walked up. "She alright?"

His Captain America suit was a lot different than the one he had before. It was stark white across the shoulders and stomach while a blue band was striped across his chest. The goggles on his eyes were the same tinted red as before, though.

"She's fine," I answered annoyed, tearing my attention off him. Bucky shot me a look.

"What happened?" Sam stepped closer, his brows pinched at the sight of a red rag.

I jumped down from the car, feeling the bruise that was forming on my thigh sting. "Nothing."

Bucky snorted. "She tripped on Walker's shield."

"He did it on purpose." I defended.

"He wasn't even near it."

"Well, maybe he shouldn't leave his shit in random places." With little patience and a lack of sleeping wearing on me, I turned to both of them. "It's been thoroughly unpleasant." I had no clue how I was gonna get back to Queens, most likely the subway.

"Kid." A voice called out for me, and I didn't need to turn to know it was Sam's footsteps walking next to me. He walked in front of me. "Hey, what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"It's not nothing." Sam insisted, and I met his gaze for a second before looking at the stars. "Come on, kid. I haven't seen you in months, and you're acting like you don't know me." A little scoff left my lips as he continued. "I've been worried about you."

"Just because you took on one of Steve's responsibilities doesn't mean you need to take on another." I bit my lip and shook my head, then looked at him. "Congrats on the title; I'm sure you'll do great."

"Charlie..."

"Good luck." I forced the corners of my lips to turn up slightly and my face to hide everything that I felt in my chest.

Quickly, I walk away before the lump in my throat grew to the point where I'd have tears streaming down my face. Stop it, I reminded myself, I'm fine. My eyes felt warm and a shaky breath left my lips. I probably looked crazy... I probably am crazy.

Where-ever I was had near-empty streets since most of the attention was off where the new Captain America was last scene. To be honest, I had no idea where I was, and my feet were starting to hurt.

A huge whoosh of air came down beside me, followed by sloshy footsteps.

I spared a glance at Sam. "That's not fair."

"I just wanted to make sure you got home safe." He replied.

"I can take care of myself."

"I know." Sam nodded and walked beside me. Then after a while, he said, "She was around your age. Karli." I looked at him closely and saw the way his face dropped in sadness. "She just took the wrong turn too far."

Sucking a breath in, I cross my arms. "Is that what you think is gonna happen to me?"

"No." He shook his head.

"Then why didn't you tell me about the Flag Smashers? Or wanting to give up the shield?"

"Because you're a kid- don't roll your eyes, it's true. You shouldn't have to be worrying about me." His eyes turn up to the sky and then drop back to the pavement. "Everything was really complicated, and I didn't want to risk losing someone important in the cross fire."

My mouth shut, and I swallowed. I was important?

A sarcastic response couldn't form in my head, and I watched his face in the street lamp. He looked like a lot of things, but he still looked like Sam. I dropped my attention to the grey streets. "I'm sorry, I snapped at you."

"It's been a rough couple of months, I get it."

After a few more minutes of walking, I turn to him. "Sam, I don't know where I'm going."

"I know." He smiled a little. "I think we've passed by that store like three times now." Then his eyes gleamed as he looked at me sideways. "Wanna lift?"

"No."

"You're no fun." He pouted, then tilted his head. "Shuri made it."

That had my interest. "Did she, really?"

"It's Wakandan, so I think so."

"You had a suit imported?"

"It was a gift." The brown-eyed man defended. "And you're just jealous you don't have a fancy suit too."

"I like my suit, thank you very much." My fingers stretched out and looked at the black material of it. It wasn't as shiny or metal as Peter's new suit, but it was the last upgrade I got before everything went to shit. Tony and I "made" it together, it was a lot of snarky remarks and throwing raisins at each other, but I was happy with how it came out. 

A/N: THE NEW SPIDERMAN TRAILER LOOKS SO GOOD.

Sorry, for the short chapter, but I really want to start jumping into FFH.