4.21 I Am A God(She Said Humbly)

Whip curled around the rung of the bridge, the impact rattled through my whole body as my body slightly glides, before it slammed into the water

Whip curled around the rung of the bridge, the impact rattled through my whole body as my body slightly glides, before it slammed into the water. Panic rattled through my brain and held my breath as I made contact with the cold liquid. I clawed futilely against the current. I was going to die.

Calm down, Tony's voice reminded me, you're not trying to kill it.

Echoing the memory, my arms and legs were guided by ghosts. I broke through the surface of the water. Oxygen curled around my lungs and I looked up at the tall bridge in front of me.

Come on, Redmond. It rang through my mind, and my lead-filled bones fought their way to the floating cement. Using the broken pieces of bridge to keep my head above water, I found the nearest pillar.

"Charlie-- are you alright?" Peter's voice shouted into the comms and I winced a little.

"Amazing."

"I'll get you, where are you?"

"Only one of us needs to get to Beck." My arms hurt from the sharper parts of my makeshift floaty. "Get to the bridge, I've got it."

"But--"

I pushed off from the cement chunk and swam to another one closer to the bridge. Then to another, and another, till I reached the tall pillars of the London bridge. Staring up at the structure, I could see where Beck was on the higher level. I grabbed the metal sigil on my waist and a grappling hook emerged from it. Throwing it against the brick, its smart activated grapple landed only six feet up. I pressed the center of my belt and it returned to me. Come on. Nostrils flared, I threw the smart grapple, using my whole body to send it up. With a satisfying click, the brick crunched under the hold of the tech. Let's hope this works.

***

I pulled myself up to the street, whole body aching and anger burning through my body. Mask lifted up to my nose, cold air hit my lungs. Focused on the endless drones in the sky, I spat the blood out of my mouth over the ledge.

Water dripped off my suit and I tugged my mask back on. Eyes fixed on the little bridge Mysterio was staying in, I felt the air around me crackle. He ordered the execution of my friends and he still was trying to keep the illusion up. A small subsection of the drone army still hovered around him for protection.

Suddenly, what looks like a teddy bear is flung up high into the air. The moment it gets within thirty feet of the drones and Mysterio, its fluffy insides are exploded. Poor birds.

"Charlie, I got a plan," Peter said into the comms.

"Yeah, me too," I replied, walking behind one of the towers.

One too many movie references later and a quick explanation. We both set off on both of our plans.

My fingers twisted like Sam's when he taught me fishing knots, I looped my whip around the hole of my throwing knife. Using my teeth, I pulled the knot tight. Swinging the makeshift weapon around, I thrust it forward to test its drag. Content, I looked up to the place where the wire around my waist was. It grappled around the tall blue arc of the bridge. Press thrice for speed. Trust your suit, trust your partner.