4.01 No Country For Old Men

"No— don't tou— just stand over there." The odd half-Hulk half-Bruce Banner thingy shooed me away after I attempted to touch one of the screens next to him. Satisfied with his annoyance, I backed off and stood next to Bucky beside this large platform with five prongs upright.

Time travel was so fucking weird.

Bruce had explained it to me at least four different times, and each time it gets worse. Ninety percent sure, not even he fully gets it.

Regardless, there I was in the middle of the woods with Steve, Sam, Bucky, and Bruce (waiting to be murdered). It was a pretty day, though, soft breeze and birds flying through the sky, very peaceful. Hardly resembled the torn lives in the city.

"And remember, you gotta put the stones back exactly where you found them, or else you're going to open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Bruce finished the explanation I had toned out of as he closed the briefcase with the infinity stones.

I didn't know why I was here, but I was nervous.

Anytime I'm near more than two avengers at a time, shit hit the fan hard.

"Don't worry, Bruce," Steve assured in his Captain America suit. "I'll clip all the branches."

"You know I tried." Bruce mournfully looked at the stones. "I really tried to bring her back." I swallowed, pulling my jacket tighter around my stomach and focusing on the beetle a few inches from my feet. "I miss her, man."

"Me too," Steve said.

The blonde man took the briefcase and began to walk to the time travel station. Sam walked with him. "You know, if you want, I could come with you."

Steve stopped and looked at Sam carefully. "You're a good man Sam." Then gave a corner pinched smile. "This one's on me, though."

With a mix of adoration, nostalgia, and sadness, Steve went to Bucky. "Don't do anything stupid till I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you," Bucky replied softly.

They hugged each other tightly, and I regret not taking a spot next to Sam to spare myself being the third wheel. Once they pulled away, Bucky stared at Steve. "I'm gonna miss you, buddy."

"It's gonna be okay, Buck."

And then there was one.

His eyes grazed over my face, and I shifted slightly. "Still don't see why we couldn't do this at noon."

He smiled. "Out of all the people we could have picked for breaking into a Hydra compound, I'm glad we chose you, Queens."

My brown eyes searched his blue ones for a lie, then I quirked a lip. "Well, out of all the super soldiers in the world... you're definitely top five." A little laugh escaped his mouth, and I ignored the worry feeling in my stomach. "Good luck, Oldman."