79. bardo

Somewhere in the few seconds it took us to cross the bridge, Miller and I had released our grasps on one another, instead preparing to use our weapons if necessary. 

Unlike the last time, when we entered this new planet, we weren't in the middle of some vast landscape, but inside a bright white room. 

Moreover, the room was full of weapons. 

My gun was raised within a matter of seconds, as was everybody else's. We didn't know who these people were and what they were capable of.

"Clarke? Avery?"

The two of us spun toward the voice, our eyes landing on Gabriel who was dressed like the others in the room- a long white tunic covering pristinely white pants. 

My gun faltered slightly. "Gabriel?"

He gave me a small smile before looking to Clarke. "They've been waiting for you."

"The key." A woman whispered from behind him. 

Something seemed off about him, but nonetheless we all lowered our guns ever-so-slightly.  "Where's Bellamy?" I demanded instantly. "Octavia, Echo? Where are they?"

Gabriel's eyes flitted downward briefly. "Octavia and Echo are here."

I felt my heart constrict, my throat feeling like it was closing in on itself. "Where's Bellamy?" I questioned, afraid of the answer. 

He looked over to me, his eyes full of regret. "I'm sorry." he whispered. "Bellamy's dead."

The numbness that I described only feeling a few select time in my life...it was back. It felt the same way it did when Finn had died. Like the world had stopped turning, the air knocked from my lungs as I stood in shocked silence. 

I was too shocked to cry, to move, to speak. I stood there in complete and utter shock. There was no way what Gabriel was saying was true. 

Bellamy wasn't dead. He wasn't. He couldn't be.

I turned to the nearest Disciple, raising my gun and shoving it toward her. "Where is he?" I demanded, my finger hovering over the trigger. "Tell me right now or I swear to God I'll shoot you."

She took a small step back, her hands shaking as she shook her head. "I-I don't know."

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, firing a shot at the wall just beside her head. "Last chance to tell me the truth."

"Avery," Gabriel started, taking a small step toward me. "He's not here."

I spun on him, my gun now pointed at his chest. "He's not dead!" I yelled, my voice breaking. "He's not!"

"He's not here." The woman spoke again, her voice meager and afraid. 

"Yes he is!" I screamed, my mind breaking, refusing to think rationally at this point. "Tell me where he is!"

The woman shook her head, her eyes wide in fear as she stared back at me. 

I felt myself break fully, and then I started shooting. 

The bullets from my gun went splitting into the room, causing the disciples to duck in terror as my gunfire rained down.

"Avery!"

I wasn't exactly sure who was screaming my name, I think there was multiple people doing so. But I didn't stop, I kept firing until my gun clicked signalling I was out of ammunition.

"Avery, stop!"

A body came into contact with my own, managing to rip the gun from my hands as they pulled me into a crushing embrace.