ten.

. chapter ten

In order to rid of all the poisonous thoughts that still plagued her mind, August decided to go for a quick jog. It would be relieving to ease her mind by starting her training early.

It was around five in the morning, the sun just beginning to rise over the horizon as August sat in the kitchen. She held an unpeeled banana in her hand, staring out the window as the sun slowly ascended into the sky, thinking intently about the conversation she had yesterday with Charles. The way he held her, the way he reassured her, it all felt so wonderful, to say the least. August wasn't exactly sure what it was, but there was something there.

Setting the banana down on the counter, she decided to head outside for her run. If she were to be honest, the grey sweats she was required to wear weren't exactly the most comfortable, but she didn't have much that she packed, so she wouldn't complain.

Her Converse slapped against the pebbles as she jogged around the perimeter of the mansion. It was definitely longer than what she anticipated, but she wouldn't stop just yet.

Coming up to the front of the mansion, August spotted the back of Hank. He jogged steadily in front of her, clad in the same sweats as she was.

"Hank!" she called out, speeding up her pace to catch him. "Wait up!"

Hank turned around abruptly, his glasses falling slightly down the bridge of his nose. He pressed his lips into a thin line as he waited for August to stop beside him. When she finally did, she let out little gasps of air, her chest rising and falling at a rapid pace due to running so quickly.

"What're you doing up so early?" August questioned, flashing him a nice smile. Hank didn't seem like a social person, and he definitely didn't seem to be warming up to any of the other mutants, besides Raven. August thought that he couldn't be that bad of a guy, considering he's smart and kind, and she also needed to make friends with the others if she were to stay with them. Perhaps even fight with them against Shaw.

Hank blinked, as if surprised to see that someone approached him. "I-I just wanted to get an early start on physical training. What about you?"

August shrugged. "Couldn't sleep." And that was partly true. But of course, August wouldn't tell Hank about why she couldn't sleep.

Hank nodded, averting his gaze from August.

"You know," August mused, shoving her fists into her pant pockets, "I never did find out what your mutation was."

Hank widened his eyes, shuffling his feet. "Oh."

"You don't have to tell me," she assured. "But I'm sure it's interesting, whatever it is."

Hank nodded, his shoulders slumping in relaxation. "Do you really want to know?"

August smiled at this. He was warming up to her; he was becoming her friend. Perhaps she couldn't quite consider him a friend, but at least they were on the road leading to that title.

Hank motioned to the right of the mansion, towards the back where the garden was. August followed him, never breaking the intense silence, and allowing him to feel comfortable and secure about revealing his mutation to August.

Once they reached the garden, Hank stopped her under a tree. He let out a sigh, risking a glance over at August. She smiled, encouraging him on.

She watched as he leaned down to slip off his Converse, revealing a set of ape-like feet. He jumped up, flipping and catching the tree branch with his feet. Hank hung upside down, waiting for August's reaction.

"Hank..."

He let go of the branch, falling back to the ground gracefully. He quickly pulled on his high-tops, not once looking up at the brunette.

She set a slim hand on his shoulder, squeezing gently, which caused him to halt.

"Hank, I think your mutation is amazing," she spoke quietly, as if she didn't want anyone else to hear them. "You may have heard it all before, but this makes you special; it makes you your own person. No one else has this, and that's something to be proud of. You're one of the lucky ones, not all of us get to be so fortunate."

August instantly thought about her mother, how she wasn't as lucky as Hank. August would take feet like that any day over what happened with her mother. Hank had no idea what she meant about how lucky he is.

Hank looked down, shrugging August's hand off his shoulder. "You don't even have a mutation, you don't understand."

"That's where you're wrong, Hank," she mumbled. "I understand perfectly fine; more than you think."

page break

August didn't really bother with Hank much after their conversation. She had to admit, though, it was somewhat her fault. But then again, Hank really should feel lucky. Of course, he doesn't understand completely as to why August would get so tense with him about the subject, but she doesn't have any reason to tell Hank about her mother. It would be best to leave it be. Perhaps Hank will learn that his mutation isn't one that he has to fret over; not like most of the mutants do.

She wondered about her mother. Would August have the same fate? Would she fade away, leaving behind everything that she loves and holds dear, ruining their lives after she's gone? What does her future hold? Does she even have one?

While strolling down a corridor, August allowed her thoughts to wander. She thought about who she would spend her life with. Would Erik and Charles be there, along with the other mutants? Would she have a child; be married? She wished that she could see into that time, so it would be so much simpler, rather than to guess or hope.

Suddenly, as if in response to her wishes, the feeling of being stuck in a glue trap fell over August once again. The only other time she felt this was when Shaw and his men invaded the CIA base. Her limbs moved in slow motion, and it was becoming increasingly harder to function.

On the other side of the hall, August spotted Charles turning the corner with Erik by his side. They stopped once they saw her, eyes filled with confusion and curiosity.

"August?" Even Charles's voice sounded distant and echoed. "Are you okay?"

August felt nausea eat away at her stomach, making her lurch forward, still at an achingly slow pace. Charles and Erik advanced towards August, arms out in case she fainted.

Her head was spinning, and that's when she heard a voice.

"You're not alone."

It was Charles' voice. Though August knows that he hasn't said a single word.

She could hear the rush of waves, feel the wind caress her skin, smell the salt in the air. She saw an image of a large boat, but it quickly faded away.

To say that she was terrified was an understatement. August was completely mortified at what was going on at the moment. There was so much confusion that made her head ache with such an intense pain, but the heavy feeling never dissipated.

"August?" Charles called out. "August, can you hear me?"

For a moment, her vision cleared so that she could see Charles. But he was sopping wet, as if he'd just gotten out of the shower, but with clothes still on. August blinked, and the image returned to a dry and present-looking Charles.

Soon, the feeling melted away, leaving August's muscles sore and heavy, as if she just got done with lifting weights. She let out a groan, leaning against a well-built structure. At first, she thought it was the wall, but when she glanced up, she caught the stormy gaze of Erik looking down at her.

Without thinking, she mumbled, just loud enough for both men to hear.

"You're not alone. Erik, you're not alone."